Tee shirt quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tee shirt quilt

I've been asked by a friend if I would make a tee shirt quilt for her daughter. I've never done one before and not sure how to work with the tee shirts. Seems they would have alot of stretch to them.
    Looking for advice from those of you who have made one, then will decide if it's something I really want to tackle.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Re: Tee shirt quilt

cut the whole front of the tee out. cut off sleeves and neck facing. then get some featherweight interfacing. I like a non woven because the tee is stretchy . Then iron a piece of interfacing to the wrong side of tee. then get a square and place over the design centering it. Cut out. Now you have an interfaced block, and you can treat it the same as any block. Just make sure you get a FEATHERWEIGHT interfacing
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Doloris View Post
      cut the whole front of the tee out. cut off sleeves and neck facing. then get some featherweight interfacing. I like a non woven because the tee is stretchy . Then iron a piece of interfacing to the wrong side of tee. then get a square and place over the design centering it. Cut out. Now you have an interfaced block, and you can treat it the same as any block. Just make sure you get a FEATHERWEIGHT interfacing
      Thanks Dolores! I wasn't sure what to back the tee's with.

Comment

I used french fuse interfacing. It's really lightweight and won't stiffen your quilt at all. But it gives you the stabilization you need for the tshirt blocks.

Do as Delores said, iron on the interfacing and then cut the block. Otherwise you'll be fighting curly edges.

Also, iron the interfacing crossways to the grain of the tshirt. pull the shirt to see which side gives the most. Then pull the interfacing for it's pull as well. Lay them in opposite directions (North/South, East/West) and iron. That will help curb the stretch.

I don't know if you have a pattern or not, but you can use all the printed parts of the shirt - those little logos over the left side, on the sleeve, etc. If you cut your blocks in multiples of a number, say 4, then it'll be easier to do a layout if you have 4", 8", and 12" sizes. And don't toss out the blank bottoms of the shirt yet. You might use it later on to upsize a block by adding a strip to the block.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
          I used french fuse interfacing. It's really lightweight and won't stiffen your quilt at all. But it gives you the stabilization you need for the tshirt blocks.

Do as Delores said, iron on the interfacing and then cut the block. Otherwise you'll be fighting curly edges.

Also, iron the interfacing crossways to the grain of the tshirt. pull the shirt to see which side gives the most. Then pull the interfacing for it's pull as well. Lay them in opposite directions (North/South, East/West) and iron. That will help curb the stretch.

I don't know if you have a pattern or not, but you can use all the printed parts of the shirt - those little logos over the left side, on the sleeve, etc. If you cut your blocks in multiples of a number, say 4, then it'll be easier to do a layout if you have 4", 8", and 12" sizes. And don't toss out the blank bottoms of the shirt yet. You might use it later on to upsize a block by adding a strip to the block.
          Good info, thanks!

Comment

It's been a long time since I made one. All the advice above is excellent!

Here's my two cents worth. Wash all the t-shirts. But do not use any fabric softener. This also means no dryer sheets either. I learned the hard way. The fusible stabilizer will not adhere to it if fabric softener is used.

I also tried using the clear nylon thread when machine quilting it on my small domestic machine. The nylon thread kept breaking. (It did not like the t-shirt/interfacing) I was told to use the polyester type - Sulky - and that solved my problem.
            Vonnie

Comment

Here's a tutorial I wrote a couple of years ago for beginners that doesn't use any fancy rulers. It's fun to make them. This tute has been downloaded over 12K times, and we've had many send us pics, so hopefully it will help you!
              http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/201...for-beginners/
              Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

It sure does help if you can get a piece of acrylic cut to the size you want to make your blocks. Then you can lay it over the front of your t-shirt so you can center the design and not cut any of the pretty parts off by accident. I think I even saw some acrylic made for that at either JA our HL.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                  It sure does help if you can get a piece of acrylic cut to the size you want to make your blocks. Then you can lay it over the front of your t-shirt so you can center the design and not cut any of the pretty parts off by accident. I think I even saw some acrylic made for that at either JA our HL.
                  A lot of home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot will cut your sheets of acrylic for free. Lowes just cut some 1/8" for me to use as a dry erase practice board. I lay it over a design I want to practice drawing. They have 1/4" also. They would also be good for purse bottoms.
                  Vonnie

Comment

I go to my local glass shop and they cut whatever size I want for a very reasonably fee. Usually can find a piece of plexi glass in their box of cut off pieces. I have squares of all sizes
                    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                      I've been asked by a friend if I would make a tee shirt quilt for her daughter. I've never done one before and not sure how to work with the tee shirts. Seems they would have alot of stretch to them.
                      Looking for advice from those of you who have made one, then will decide if it's something I really want to tackle.
                      I did one for the first time this year or i should say it took me a 1.5 years to make lol. IT was my grandsons clothing for his first year, all his onesies, t-shirts, pjs etc.... Let me just say it was a challenge and I consider myself a pretty good sewer and i am a intermediate quilter. my only suggestion is take your time and when you get tired stop immediately don't push yourself i learned that the hard way working with t-shirts and stretch fabrics. Use a good stabilizer; and pin as much as you can. I also did another t-shirt quilt that was much easier and learning from my first one helped considerably. Good luck. I think i posted a couple of pictures in my album if you want to take a peek if not i can send you one.
                      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Cathy, What a wealth of good information here. Good luck with the quilt if you decide to do it.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I like to use the little logos that are on the pockets and sleeves in the border. I put one in each corner and one halfway down on each side. Good luck.

Comment

I recently made a quilt from baby clothes - onesies etc. I documented the process including cutting, interfacing, piecing, quilting and binding as well.
                            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...ias-quilt.html
                            Hope it helps.
                            Preeti
                            http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great info, thank you one and all!

Comment

Working...
                              X