Flannel advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel advice needed

Hi, I'm going to make a baby quilt from flannel 5x5's. What size should my stitches be, and what size needle should I use in the machine. I'm not going to quilt the blanket, I'm going to tie it. Any advice would be appreciated .

Re: Flannel advice needed

My machine is very old so my stitch range is small, medium or large (yes really!) So I'm afraid my settings won't work for you-- except to say make them a little smaller than you normally do. Also use a 1/2" seam not 1/4" and good luck!

Comment

I use 2 or 2.5 on my machine-I think that would be a 10 or 12 on an older machine. I do not use a 1/2 " seam but a generous 1/4". I find it works fine for me but if your flannel is on the thin side 1/2" is good insurance.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

The size of your needle is mostly determnined by the weight of the thread that you use. For example, 50 wt thread us paired with a #80 needle, 40 weight and 30 weight thread are paired with a #90 needle. Many people use the 50 weight thread for their piecing. That is what I prefer to use.

For piecing, I usually defer to that 2.5 setting on my machine. HOWEVER, I would defintely check to see if a longer stitch would be better for flannel,
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thanks to jjkaiser,bakermom, and Sylvia H for your advice about using flannel. I've decided to use neutral Aurifil thread, 2.0 setting on my Babylock, and 1/2" seam. I'll post my results. Again, thank you all!

Comment

Working...
          X