To Stabilize or to not stabilize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Stabilize or to not stabilize?

I've been Cutting fabrics for an Illusions quilt. I have 52 Disney prints to cut. Some of them are very thin. I'm trying to figure out what to do to make this a long lasting quilt. I thought to stabilize the thin fabrics ... and will that work.

I thought about using a wider seam allowance to guard against raveling. But, I am using a Honey Bun so that probably not work.

Does anyone know if stabilizer would help. I've never used it.

Re: To Stabilize or to not stabilize?

A woven fusible stabilizer like Pellon sf101would be like ironing a thin layer of muslin to the fabric. It's not cheap, but is easy to work with and nice to sew. I normally buy it when I have. 50% or better coupon for Joann's or last week I got 10 yard bolts from Overstock.com for $25.00 BTW, it is normally only 20 inches wide. They have started making it in 60 wide but I've not seen it yet
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Karen overstock does have the 60 inch wide its $95.99 for a 10 yard bolt. The narrow for $23.39 is a great price. At Joann's its almost 6 bucks a yard.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I´m making a quilt with handkerchiefs, which were my mother and how are so fine´m getting stabilizer. In my country is too overpriced are 8 euros one meter but has 80 cm. wide, but after finishing it and see how nice it is going to be the price will be somewhat forgotten

Comment

Stabilizer is a glorious thing Use the SF101, as Karen said. (I also always buy with a 1/2 off coupon from J*)

Comment

This is good to know. I have a bolt of 101 and wanted to use a light green that is thinner for a border on a small quilt. It sounds like this would enable me to do that.

btw I buy 101 at walmart. I got a bolt for $35 online on sale with free shipping a few months ago. It was a good amount as I am still not half way through it.

Comment

Oh and just so you know. I used it on a cut piece, then washed before assembly. The 101 drew up a tad and now my fabric has a wrinkled look. It has instructions somewhere on shrinkage but I did not follow them. Now I wish I had because one area of my bag is a bit more wrinkled looking. It is not a bag I am going to be washing all the time. ;-)

I can't remember why I needed to wash that piece but my guess is my cat probably decided to sit on it or something.

For a quilt that may be fine because the wrinkled look can be part of it's charm. But I wanted to let you know.

Comment

I've already washed and pressed my fabrics... before cutting. And I won't wash again before it's quilted. I plan to have it really closely quilted like in a small meandering pattern. I am hoping that also helps to stabilize the fabrics and hold it all together for a long time.

Thanks for all the advice... will run and grab some 101 tomorrow at JoAnns. I have all of my fussy cut squares cut.

Comment

Disney prints will make a great Illusion quilt.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                  X