Quilt backing grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt backing grain

I ordered 3 yards of 108" backing fabric. It came but was in 2 pieces. The longest piece is not long enough to give me the 4" on top and bottom needed for the long-arm quilter. If I turn the fabric sideways, I will have enough length and a little extra width. Is it okay to use the backing fabric this way or does it have to have the lengthwise grain running lengthwise of the quilt?

Re: Quilt backing grain

I have turned my wide backing sideways with no issues, so you should be good to go.

However, I would have an issue if I ordered wide backing and it was sent to me in two pieces without being contacted first. I don't buy wide backing so that I have to piece it.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I am contacting customer service first thing tomorrow morning.

Comment

I have to agree with Karen. IT should not be a problem, but definitely the shop should never give it in pieces without contacting you first.

Comment

I was also told by a famous quilter (Kay Capps Cross) that you need to remove the selvage edges. She suggested ripping. She had us ripping all four sides to make sure we had straight of grain. Also remember to have 1/2" seams pressed open.

I would highly recommend calling your long arm quilter and asking him/her what they prefer.

I know I get aggravated if I put the backing on the frame and it's wonky.
          Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
            I have turned my wide backing sideways with no issues, so you should be good to go.

However, I would have an issue if I ordered wide backing and it was sent to me in two pieces without being contacted first. I don't buy wide backing so that I have to piece it.
            This was my opinion too. You generally buy wide backs so you don't have to piece. I would be irritated if it didn't come in one piece.

Comment

no kidding. I'm in the market to order some wide backing and I would be furious if it were in two pieces.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

They shipped me a replacement piece and a prepaid shipping label to return the 2 pieces. Thanks for the input.

Comment

So glad you were able to call and get it taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                  X