• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Iris Girl

• Iris Girl
    replied
    Re: 2 Questions....

I would quilt it with a FMQ star pattern continuous. Kind of like this http://www.happyquiltingmelissa.com/...-quilting.html

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by Saqqara View Post
    I'm not sure I can pull off spirals. I have never done it before and I only have free motioned crib size quilts before. I have a short arm machine.
    Do you have a walking foot and a quilting bar? I read the start is a bit daunting but after a few go arounds its pretty easy.

Leave a comment:

• surfergirl

• surfergirl
    replied

[QUOTE=Saqqara;907050]Hi all!

#1 if a quilt I've made is too long, 103" compared to the width 88" on a queen bed, would it be okay to shorten just the top and bottom borders and leave the sides alone?

a queen mattress is 60 x 80", so at 88 x 103" you have a 14" drop on each side and about 12" drop at top and bottom, don't trim.

Leave a comment:

• Saqqara

• Saqqara
    replied

I'm not sure I can pull off spirals. I have never done it before and I only have free motioned crib size quilts before. I have a short arm machine.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry

• grammaterry
    replied

Love hulamoons spirals. And NO....don't shorten it. You can't have a quilt that is too long. Keep your feet warm.

Leave a comment:

• MBCA

• MBCA
    replied

I did an outer space/universe quilt and did spiral quilting and it really looked great.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon

• Hulamoon
    replied

This is fun for #2 Sort of what I meant.

sprial.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/534802524482638315/

Leave a comment:

• songbird857

• songbird857
    replied

I like Lorie's idea for spiral quilting, kinda like the Milky Way. I also don't think it's too long, you can fold it under and over the pillows.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon

• Hulamoon
    replied

On # 2 I would say yes, it doesn't fit the theme. How about a spiral?

Leave a comment:

• tesspug

• tesspug
    replied

Beautiful job! Some quilts only have borders on the bottom as the top goes under the pillows. But you could certainly shorten both is you want. No one will notice when the quilt is on the bed. I think the quilting pattern would do just fine as long as your thread blends in well. If you can, make a practice sandwich with some scraps and see if you like it.

Leave a comment:

• Saqqara

• Saqqara
    started a topic 2 Questions....

2 Questions....

Hi all!

#1 if a quilt I've made is too long, 103" compared to the width 88" on a queen bed, would it be okay to shorten just the top and bottom borders and leave the sides alone?

#2 the quilt is a black on one side, blue on the other jewels of the universe with a star and planet theme, I made it for my great nephew who is 11. I want to free motion quilt it. would a jigsaw puzzle piece pattern be to distracting and spoil the theme? Here's a photo.....image.jpg

And the jigsaw pattern image.jpeg
    Thanks for all your help
Working...
X