Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Seams opened after washing!

Hello all,

I've been quilting for about 16 years, and I've never had this problem. Yesterday, I finished a baby quilt and then washed it. When I went to fold it and put it in the gift bag, I noticed that several of the seams had opened. This was an extremely fussy pattern with very small sashing strips. I pinned everything, and I am very careful when I press my seams. Is there any way to fix this easily?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help! Seams opened after washing!

A couple of suggestions are - can you blindstitch the seams back together by hand? or you could do an applique over the open seam area.
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

This is so sad! I fear there is no easy fix. You can hand sew the seams back together if the fabric still has some integrity, or you can use raw edge appliqué over the torn seams. Depending on the quilting pattern, you might be able to secure the loose seams by using fusible web under the seams and ironing them. I would be afraid that the quilt wouldn't hold up to washing in the future if this happened on the first wash. It is a shame your work was ruined in this way. Good luck!

Comment

Depending on your quilting method, lets say FMQ, perhaps you could go back over the whole quilt with heavy quilting and secure the seams that way.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

A variation might be to use a decorative stitch and cover all the seams in the quilt. It would be kind of like a second quilting of, say, hearts or snowflakes, that cover up all your seams.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards going over every seam with a decorative stitch. It's going to take forever and use a lot of thread. I love the applique idea, but I'm afraid that more seams will open.IMG_1540.jpg

Comment

That is a beautiful quilt!
              Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Can you add topstitching as a way to secure all the seams? Very pretty quilt.
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Such a lovely quilt. I hope to learn so this will never happen to me. Do you have any idea why multiple seams opened? Did you press the seams open or to one side?
                  Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I had this happen recently on a flannel quilt I made with Woolies. I had contacted the mfg Maywood Studios, in advance to see if I needed to use 1/2" or 1/4" seams. They assured me 1/4" was fine so that is what I used. Only one seam opened up so I could repair it by hand pretty easily. However it is to be a wedding gift so I am just a tad anxious about other seams opening up later, just hope not!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                      Such a lovely quilt. I hope to learn so this will never happen to me. Do you have any idea why multiple seams opened? Did you press the seams open or to one side?
                      Thanks. I think the seams opened because the sashing stips were so narrow - one-inch before sewing. I always press to one side.

Comment

I'm to afraid to wash my quilts after quilting them because of just such a problem. For the most part I use tiny stitches while piecing, but you never know. I just tell people to wash them with care.

Comment

This is so frustrating--sorry this happened to you. I had this happen to me with 3 out of 4 flannel quilts I made recently--I posted about this a few days ago and got some great advice (see thread titled "need help with frayed seams"). Never had this happen to me using cotton broadcloth, just flannels. I used my machine applique stitch to make the needed repairs--the thread I used disappeared into the quilting so they are nearly invisible, but like you, concerend about what will happen in the next trip through the wash. Good luck.

Camogirlquilts
                          Last edited by camogirlquilts; September 13, 2016, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X