Quilt consistency is limp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt consistency is limp.

Hi all, I am needing help desperately. I just finished making a guestbook quilt for my nephew's wedding. The good news is that the pattern and sewing and colors and quilting came out great and it looks very nice. The bad news is that it is all wrinkled and wavy. The consistency is that of a thin dishrag. I ironed it for an hour and it's only a little better. I used muslin and cotton for the quilt top and cotton batting and can't quite figure it out. It's all done except for the binding, but how can I even and/or stiffen up the quilt itself? Can I starch it? Any ideas would be appreciated. I've spent countless hours on this and it looks...limp. Thanks, Jane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sojourn12; September 11, 2016, 09:30 PM.

Re: Quilt consistency is limp.

I can't see the quilting in the picture. Did you quilt in the ditch? It is very nice and well done. I was thinking perhaps more quilting would stiffen it up.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

You can starch ot and make sure to press not iron if you move the iron and pull the fabric a little you may distort the shape .
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Why do you want a stiff quilt?

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
          Why do you want a stiff quilt?
          I think because people will be writing on it..

I would try the starch too.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Starch should help - but a weird question here - if it is starched, then written on, will the starch affect the permanency of the ink when it is washed???

Comment

If you have any scraps of fabric - I would definitely try starching it and then writing on it, and then wash Songbird has a good valid point.
              ***Kathy***

Comment

If the quilt squares are already signed, and you want the quilt to hang straighter, try adding something like cotton cord to the binding. That could help it hang better.

If, on the other hand, those squares are all still blank, and you want to stiffen the quilt to gather signatures, I'm a big fan of freezer paper. I used freezer paper quite successfully on individual squares for a signature quilt, but they were to be sewn together later. On a blank-square, fully quilted quilt, I'd still try it.

Put the freezer paper onto the back of the quilt. Fuse it with a dry iron (experiment on scraps to find a good temp). Then, using a basting stitch, literally sew that freezer paper onto the back of the quilt. You should probably cut the freezer paper to size so that your basting stitches fall on your sashing. That should stiffen up the quilt enough for folks to sign it. After the wedding, you remove the basting stitches and the freezer paper.

The firmest version of this would be to baste all the sashing. That would give a nice firm backing for every signature.

Wishing you the best of luck. Please let us know what you end up doing!
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

When you want to write on fabric, it is advised that the wrong side of the fabric is ironed to the sticky side of the freezer paper.
                  This makes the fabric stiff enough to write on. Since the quilt is already made, I guess that option is out.

Starch might help. Since the ink is archival/permanent it should not be affected by washing but do try on a scrap first to see the effect.

Finally, here is my suggestion on the use of Pens. I highly recommend Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric 1.0. You can find this on Amazon. It has a thicker point and is much better than Pigma Micron pens. I have mentioned it earlier on the forum and SylviaH can vouch for it too. You can see the writing in the link below
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...ger-lakes.html
                  Preeti
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Preeti,
                    Just clicked on your link above and wow! I love how your handwriting shows up ... So questions .. Once you've written your label do you set the ink with a dry iron? Any other tips to keep the ink from washing out or fading over time? Thank you
                    Sherrie
                    Life ain’t always beautiful
                    But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

Dry iron yes! I have no other tips, Sherrie.
                      Preeti
                      http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a cool idea and wonderful wedding quilt! Idk how you can stiffen it up at this point but my guess is it is caused from the large squares of muslin which is usually soft and drapey. If you have a LQS you might go there and ask. Instead of going to all the trouble with the freezer paper, couldn't you just take a small cutting mat to the event where they will sign it and slide the mat under each block as it gets signed?

Comment

Sounds as though your problem is using
                          poor quality fabrics. There's not anything
                          you can do with this quilt. It will not survive many was washing.
                          Except you learned the importance of using
                          great quality fabrics.
                          You must start a quilt with great quality
                          fabrics to have a great finished, long lasting quilt.

Comment

I don't have any real advise for you. I think I would test the starch on scraps . I have found that when I dense quilt the quilt is stiffer and when my quilting is further apart the quilt has a limper softer feel to it.

Comment

It's not inspiring to answer someone who posts once and never returns, but maybe someone else searching for an answer to the same problem will be helped later on.

It's a lovely quilt. I firmly believe there is a solution to almost everything if you let creativity in and kick any perfection out the door.

What I'd do? Get high quality white fabric (Moda, Kona, Free Spirit, etc.) and do what you should do before sewing the quilt — iron the cut pieces to freezer paper and have everybody sign them with the appropriate permanent fabric marker. Then attach them to the premade quilt with either raw edge machine appliqué, or do fusible appliqué so the edges are turned under and finished. Bit of work, but it would look nice and lend more body to the quilt. Hey, it might even be better this way because you could hang the quilt on the wall and have the stack of square fabric next to it to sign. It might be more amazing to people to see the quilt and know their piece will go on it. Oh and have plenty of extra squares for mistakes.
                              Last edited by stitchwishes; September 15, 2016, 01:49 PM. Reason: Autocorrect having the time of its life

Comment

Working...
                              X