Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ Design Advice

Long time beginner here :-)
    Am getting close to finishing this table runner and am already fretting about how to quilt it. I prefer to do something other than or in addition to stitch in the ditch.
    Because I am new and not at all confident I was thinking of black thread on the black "stars" inside the hexagon rings.
    I appreciate all suggestions.
    image.jpeg
    Thanks!

Re: FMQ Design Advice

Your runner design is terrific. I can see rainbow variegated thread in the black center. Starting at one inside point, skipping two points, stitch to the next point; turn, skip two points, stitch to the next point. Continue until you end at the beginning point. This will give you a starburst, something like what you would see with a Spirograph, and the colors in the thread would compliment the happy candy colors in your hexies. Sketch it out on tracing paper to see if it works for you.
    Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

Rock has a terrific idea!

Also, Rob at Man Sewing has quilting tutorials: http://mansewing.com/category/quilting-tutorial-2/

And over at Craftsy.com Angela Walters has a class called "Dot to Dot" which is also what Rock is describing. She uses different points of reference in the pieced top to guide her quilting.
      Vonnie

Comment

The runner is stunning and if you can stitch a straight line (not my specialty) that spirograph idea sounds wonderful.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Very pretty runner! I like Rock's idea for the black stars. For the hexagons, I would probably stitch inside each one about 1/2 inch in, following the outline of the hexi.
          I am Sew Blessed!
          Alina

Comment

Beautiful runner! I think you have already gotten some wonderful ideas for the quilting. Hope you will post a picture of it when all finished.
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Working...
            X