Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tumbler pieces turned into Dresden plate pieces.???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tumbler pieces turned into Dresden plate pieces.???

Evening all,

I was wondering if any of you wonderful ladies ( and men if we have some on line) could tell me if I could use some pieces that have already been cut using the 5 inch tumbler template as Dresden pieces, ( my Dresden template when I lay in on the pieces says I would get 4.5 inch pieces?? ) I am not super confident but would really like to use the pieces in a different way then the tumbler quilt that they are left over from.. ( I did not cut them , they were given to me and I feel I am sort of cheating but not cutting my own pieces and making my quilts )

Was thinking if it worked I could just make a few and applique them on to a back ground fabric so they looked like they were floating instead of putting on squares of say 8 inch pieces.

Anyone that has done Dresden I would be so great full for your thoughts and ideas or even maybe a pattern that I could follow.

Thanks every one .

Re: tumbler pieces turned into Dresden plate pieces.???

Are the Dresden pieces sewn together? Show us a picture of what you have. I am certain you can create a wonderful pattern
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

Jenny did a tutorial for a wallhanging I believe that used both the 5 inch and mini tumber. If you did a search in the tutorial section for tumbler I am sure it would come up.
      Wendy
      http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Don't feel badly about cutting up some scraps that were given to you, especially if they were left over from something else. Cut them into anything you want and have fun.

Comment

There is nothing cheating about using left over fabric pieces (scraps) to make something different than the original intent. It's called be frugal and creative. Go For It!

Floating dresden plates are fun, but I would recommend using them on a smaller quilt (wall hanging, lap, or baby) unless you are planning on hand appliqueing them, as it can be difficult depending on your sewing machine's throat size, to turn the quilt as you stitch around the dresden. (Been there, done that).

If your dresden template will fit on the scraps, then yes, it'll work!

My "floating" dresden (still not quilted)
          Dresden plate.jpg

Left over scraps used to make a wall hanging, and the little tiny scraps I used to make a scrappy border - absolutely nothing wasted from this pile of fat quarters
          Dresden wall hanging.jpg

Comment

Take the blinders off and go for it. Like it's been said if template fits and you feel comfortable working with that size go for it. Have fun with it. Remember it is your creation.

Comment

I love the floating dresdens. This is one of my favorite baby quilts.

http://www.polkadotchair.com/2012/07...-designs.html/
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
              X