Blue Jean Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Jean Quilt

A few years ago I took my DH old blue jeans and pieced them together. This quilt top has been in my closet forever. Its huge and super heavy. How would you quilt it ? Would you do it by hand or a long arm? I have no idea what type of needle or thread to use. Any ideas of how to deal with this monster would be so helpful. We thought it would be great for the beach or camping .

Thanks,
    Teresa

Re: Blue Jean Quilt

I'd machine quilt. Hand quilting the denim would be difficult. I'd probably not use batting since it's already very heavy.

Comment

They actually sell sewing machine needles for denim : https://www.amazon.com/Denim-Machine...achine+needles

Jeannette

Comment

I would use a jean machine needle and maybe topstitch along seams to reinforce them because of the weight of the quilt.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

you can always tie it
          sigpic

Comment

Denim quilts are awesome for camping and picnics! Tie or long arm.......too heavy and bulky to wrestle on a domestic machine! Yes, use a heavier or a denim needle.

Comment

I didn't quilt mine, nor put any backing on it. After sewing the blocks together with a half inch seam, I just clipped and washed it like you would a rag quilt. Now its reversible

Comment

I have made 3 so far. One my oldest son and I tied it. I made it out of his old jeans and even included the pockets.

Second one for my youngest. Made out of his jeans. I machine quilted it. Even though it was a twin size it was a struggle on that small machine.

Third one was a lap quilt for me and I machine tacked it in the middle of each block. Backed it with minky. It's been washed several times and you can't tell it. No fraying or seams opening.
                Vonnie

Comment

My first one I made a rag quilt with flannel batting and denim backing. The second one I just made small blocks with flannel and denim. I think I minimally straight lined quilted that. Be warned, they are heavy. The second one broke my washing machine. I mean really broke it.....snapped the support things that holds the tub up. I didn't much like that machine, but I wasn't ready for it to die in the middle of washing a 400 pound quilt. That was fun trying to get out of the washer and wring the water out. They are delightful quilts though and virtually indestructible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishi View Post
                    My first one I made a rag quilt with flannel batting and denim backing. The second one I just made small blocks with flannel and denim. I think I minimally straight lined quilted that. Be warned, they are heavy. The second one broke my washing machine. I mean really broke it.....snapped the support things that holds the tub up. I didn't much like that machine, but I wasn't ready for it to die in the middle of washing a 400 pound quilt. That was fun trying to get out of the washer and wring the water out. They are delightful quilts though and virtually indestructible.
                    I'm sorry you broke your machine but I'm glad you shared with us. I have only washed the small lap quilt in my washer. When my son mowed the yard and came in and collapsed on his bed and took a little nap before cleaning up! It was an oversized queen quilt made more like a bedspread. He had grass, mud and ticks on that quilt. I tucked it into a large garbage bag and tied it shut and took it to the laundromat and used one of their large capacity front loading machines. I did not punish him since I figured having his Dad dig out several ticks on his body was punishment enough. He was probably 14 or 15 at the time. Since then he checks himself out before entering the house.
                    Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                    X