2 Quesrions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Quesrions

1: Is the "number of stitches" per minute your machine sews important to you? Why?
    2: Have you ever "startched" (Best Press, Magic Sizing or Startch) fabric prior to cutting strip? Did iy help with "fraying"

Just thought I would ask

Re: 2 Quesrions

The only time I have noticed number of stitches per minute is on my embroidery machine. I'm not sure why that would be important on a regular machine.. I'm curious now.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

1. I've never paid attention to stitches per minute.
      2. I have not starched to cut strips, but have done it for cutting other shapes. It helped tremendously with accuracy and yes I think it reduced the fraying, if not illiminated it.

Comment

I sew on an industrial machine mostly. The highest setting is 6000spm. When I got it, I set it at the lowest, which might be 200. I thought that was fast! Now I have it at 700, I think. Jack, the Juki TL2010Q is set at the highest speed, which I think is 1100? When I move over to sew something on Jill, my Babylock Espire, I sometimes think she is broken because she is sewing so slow even thought she is set at the highest setting....then I remember she is just a 'normal' machine and not one on steroids.

When I cut fabric for a quilt, I always press the fabric with Best Press before cutting.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

There have been two times that I really notice the number of stitches per minute. The first is when teaching the children to sew, I liked the fact that I can slow down the number of stitches per minute so they can only go so fast. The other time is when I am in a hurry and the decorative stitches will only go so fast no matter the setting or how much you press on the foot pedal. I have noticed that as the years go by, I am more confident in my sewing and do a higher stitches per minute than when I was growing up.

I have not used starch when pressing but have pressed fabric but sometimes press the fabric before cutting strips or shapes.

Comment

mamo69:

Answer to question 1, the number of stitches per minute and why? I guess I need more detail of the questions? The number of stitches per minute is referring to the speed of your machine and how much area you're covering and it is not important to me how fast I sew. But, if you're referring to stitch length...that's a different analysis and answer....

Answer to Question 2, using starch prior to cutting and does it help with fray? Yes, I have and yes it does. I learned this lesson while cutting small squares on any Lori Holt quilt pattern design! There is also a product called Fray No More that works as well!
            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

My straight stitch machine sews at 1600 stitches per minute, when sewing long straight seams, putting the pedal to the metal sure gets the job done fast!

I love Best Press! It works great at getting heavy creases out of fabric, especially fat quarters that have been folded down to a small size.

Comment

I don't think I can change the speed on my Husqvarna Viking. If anyone knows how to do that..please tell me. Sometimes I would like to go faster
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

My machine has a speed slider bar and I do use it at different speeds depending on what I'm doing. If I'm just sewing strips I usually crank it up. If I'm doing something like a blanket stitch on applique I slow it down. I like that it is adjustable when I FMQ too. I have used Best Pressed and I do like it but I tend to only use it if I'm dealing with a lot of bias.

Comment

grammaterry, what model of Viking machine do you have? I have 2 different machines and so does my sister. All of our newer machines have a fast,slow speed. My older model that is just a more of a basic machine doesn't have a speed control, just my foot. LOL

Comment

My first machine with "speed" was my embroidery machine. I never thought much about for sewing until I tried FMQ and I could see where it can make a difference. I tried starching fabric a few times but really don't care for it all that much.
                      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have a vintage New Home so there is no speed setting other than my foot. As for question #2 - I starch the living daylights out of everything. I love starch and I love working with very stiff fabric. I mix my own starch (weakly though as even the light mix is very heavy) and I starch before cutting and sometimes during pressing. As a side note, I do wash every quilt after I finish it no matter if it is a gift or going in the cabinet. I realize there are people that do not share my love of stiff as a board fabric.

Comment

1) I have no idea how many stitches per min. my DSM sews. I have a Viking Opal 670. For piecing, I keep it on full speed. When sewing bindings, I move it back 1 or 2 notches. When winding bobbins, I move it back to a medium speed.

2) Yes, I usually use Best Press to press my yardage or FQs prior to cutting. I don't do it so much to starch as to relax the wrinkles. I want nice smooth fabric when I cut. I think it depends on the fabric whether it frays or not. Some are worse than others.

Comment

I love the speed control on my Babylock Crescendo. I am not a super fast stitcher. I lose accuracy if I try to stitch too fast. When I first started FMQ, all the instructors taught stitching super fast. It did not work for me. I felt so dumb and slow. Then I read a lovely book written by a very talented lady who does art quilts. I am not an art quilter but the pictures in her book of the countryside in Italy were worth the cost of the book. In her book she talks a great deal about finding the speed that is most comfortable for you. She states that she is a very slow FMQ and that it is fine to quilt slowly. I write slowly and am often complimented on my handwriting and find it very uncomfortable to try and write fast so it made sense to me that quilting at a slower pace might work for me. I have embraced that and still quilt slower than most people but it works for me. I piece at what most would consider a medium speed but it works for me. Granted, I probably don't accomplish as much as other quilters and that is okay with me. Hurrying is not relaxing to me.

I do use Faultless Spray starch on my fabric before cutting. Faultless has come out with a new starch that guarantees no white flakes. It is 99 cents a can as opposed to $6.97 for Best Press. I have tried both and still love my starch. It makes the fabric easier to cut. I get cleaner cuts and my rotary cutter seems to like starched fabric better. Also, when piecing, I use steam to press my blocks which re-activates the starch and makes the finished blocks look crisper and easier to FMQ.

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
                              My machine has a speed slider bar and I do use it at different speeds depending on what I'm doing. If I'm just sewing strips I usually crank it up. If I'm doing something like a blanket stitch on applique I slow it down. I like that it is adjustable when I FMQ too. I have used Best Pressed and I do like it but I tend to only use it if I'm dealing with a lot of bias.
                              Same for me. I really like that feature especially when FMQ. I am not a speed sewer - so how many stitches per minute is not that important to me - but the fact I can control how fast/slow is.
                              ***Kathy***

Comment

Working...
                              X