Binding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding question

This may have been asked before but I admit I'm lazy and didn't look it up. When sewing on binding do you use your walking foot or your quarter inch foot? I feel like with the quarter inch foot things don't flow as easy, but my walking foot doesn't have a quarter inch mark so I have a hard time with my width.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Re: Binding question

Well, I am not the expert, but I use my presser foot. I don't have a 1/4 inch foot or a walkingfoot
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

I use both, for smaller projects or ones with a solid piece of fabric for the borders I may use the 1/4" foot but with larger quilts, especially if they have a pieced or no border I use the walking foot. I always use a 2 1/4" binding strip and sew it on with a generous 1/4" seam so I get a binding that is "filled".
      Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I use a regular pressure foot since I tend to sew a wee bit more than 1/4" when sewing on my binding.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
        The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I use a walking foot but my walking foot was a mark for a quarter inch seam. When I get home later this afternoon I will take a picture. My machine is a Bernina.
          Wendy
          http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I use my walking foot and the edge of that foot as my guide. It works just fine on a 2 1/2" binding. I first tried my 1/4" foot but I had too much overlap to the back of the quilt.
            sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

I use my regular presser foot.
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I use my walking foot and mark the sewing machine with painter tape for the 1/4 inch.
                Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

I also use the walking foot .

Comment

I use my presser foot and use the edge of the foot as the 1/4 inch guide. Good luck, have fun!!

Comment

Definitely the walking foot. I have a spot on the foot that is 1/4" so I follow that edge. I also use a quilting needle--either a 90 or a 90-14. I use a stitch length of 3.0 since there are multiple layers.

Comment

I use my walking foot and move my needlegs to the right one setting.

Comment

Walking foot for me. Can't imagine not using it.

Comment

I use my walking foot with a 1/4" foot on it. My machine is a Janome 8200

Comment

Originally posted by LindaKay75 View Post
                              I use my walking foot and the edge of that foot as my guide. It works just fine on a 2 1/2" binding.
                              I do the same. I match the edge of walking foot even with the edge of the quilt sandwich and use a 2 1/2 inch binding.

Comment

Working...
                              X