How should I quilt this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should I quilt this?

This is my second Disappearing Triangles quilt; I quilted the first with a fairly busy fmq meander so with this one I would like to do something more structured or straight lined. As I am a real newbie at FMQ and would like to use the walking foot with this one perhaps. Any ideas? I would prefer not to do SITD. The colours as you can see are a quiet pastel selection with a few solid reds and blues to mix it up a bit although the photo seems to have washed the lot out a bit. The backing and binding will be a lovely deep dusty red, and am thinking about a white accent flange with the binding also. All suggestions gratefully ruminated on!
    Attached Files

Re: How should I quilt this?

I am no expert by any means, but my first thought would be to do an echo stitch about 1/4" around each triangle. You could do one or two rows of stitching, depending on space available. Would emphasize each one and make them kinda "pop" up from the background.
    Beautiful quilt, love the colors.

Comment

I would do a SITD right along the triangles followed by several rows of echo stitching 1/4 inch apart. I think that will help make it pop.

Comment

Guess what? You can quilt with a walking foot and do template curves! I did this with a walking foot...you just have to slow down!

Silo Barn T-runner 4 (800x450).jpg
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Hmmmm shermur those leaves look interesting..I do believe I can feel an idea coming on!!

Comment

Whatever design you decide on, practice on a sample sandwich. I always make at least one block (sometimes 4 depending on the size of the individual blocks) of the same fabrics & pattern of the quilt top, also using the same batting & backing fabric. If I'm using a border, I sew a section of border on 1 side of the sample. I like overall quilting patterns that flow easily. I don't do a lot of custom quilting, which takes much longer.

Comment

Beautiful work on your quilt top. I second the idea of echoing. Often when I have a top that has a lot of sharp angles, I consider curves in the quilting to "soften" the total look. Whatever you decide, you have a winner there! Good luck!!

Comment

Here is a website with lots of ideas for walking foot quilting

http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Thanks everyone....
                  I like the idea of echo quilting the triangles but I'll be blowed if I can do a straight line with fmq...even with a ruled line to guide me! I don't want to do echo stitching with the walking foot as I hate all the twisting backwards and forwards I end up doing with quilt. Starting to feel a little grumpy and in need of chocolate and an adult beverage!
                  Thanks Denise for the link..gonna wander over there and have a looksie
                  Last edited by just4me; September 3, 2016, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X