Best Ruler for Squaring Up HST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Ruler for Squaring Up HST

I have been squaring up HST blocks by using my Creative Grids 12 1/2 inch square ruler. It is becoming a "pain in the quilt" when using on small blocks like those made with 10" squares or smaller.
    This problem really came to light on some HST blocks recently made with 5" squares and I decided I needed to invest in a new smaller ruler. Since I make most HST with 5 and 10 inch squares, what size ruler do you recommend for those size blocks? A 9 1/2 inch or the 10 1/2 inch square ruler?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Murphy

Re: Best Ruler for Squaring Up HST

I just made my first quilt top using half-square triangles starting with 5" squares. I used the "Quilt in a Day 9-1/2" Triangle Square Up Ruler" to square them up. Worked perfectly and I'd recommend it. I loved I could just put the dotted line on the seam line before cutting. I made sample squares with both 5" charm and 10" layer cake sizes although I made quarter squares with the 10" squares. I'm not that experienced but I would think the 9-1/2" square up ruler would be fine for the 10" squares also because once you sew two together the square would be 9-1/2". I'm sure Missouri Star's shop carries the ruler.

Comment

For HST I love my Bloc-loc.

Comment

I have used my Omni Grid 10 1/2 inch square ruler and Quilt in a Day 6 1/2. Both work well, but I prefer the 101/2 and use it all the time. I used it on two queen size big star quilts and it made my work easier and the blocks more consistent.

Comment

I prefer to use the Bloc-Loc https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-and-65-rulers for the smaller HST. For the larger ones, I usually just use my square ruler.

Comment

Tucker Trimmer is good
            sigpic

Comment

Another Bloc-Loc here. I use the 6-1/2" one
              https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...quare-up-ruler

Just saw Charyti's post - that would be a better deal for all 3.
              Cindy

Comment

My all time favorite is Deb Tucker's Tucker Trimmer! So, so easy to use and the HST come out perfect every time. Her trick to to make the HST slightly oversized and then trim them down to a precise square. There is very little waste.

Comment

I, too, am a Bloc-Loc fan!

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                  The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I recently purchased the Bloc Loc ruler and use it all the time. Makes doing HSTs fun.

Comment

I have a 4.5" square Creative Grids ruler and after squaring up about 150 hst bkocks, first by laying flat and trimmimg as needed on al, 4 sides (amazingly tedious, btw) and then leaving them folded and using the seam to line up, I've decided ii like that method MUCH better and I may just decide to start investing in multiple sizes of those square rulers. It was so ooooo easy squaring up before opening & ironing.

Comment

I just ordered the Bloc-loc 6 inch yesterday. After seeing a demo of it by them, I know I can use it on various sizes... so I picked it up in my M* order.

Comment

My favorite is Creative Grids 6.5" square ruler. I use it all the time. It works great when making the HSTs from Jenny's method of sewing 2- 10" squares together & cutting into 4 sections. I press them open & trim on all 4 sides. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so do each one individually. All my rulers except 1 are CG.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. One quick question about the Bloc-Loc rulers, can they be used for any other cutting needs besides squaring up blocks? or are they strictly used to square up?

Comment

I was wondering this also. The bloc lock seem like I would like them but I have several sz of sq rulers now. what to do?

Comment

Working...
                              X