Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a trick to backstitching when using twin needles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a trick to backstitching when using twin needles?

I recently purchased a Brother CS6000i sewing machine and loving it. I am old as dirt and a novice sewer. So far I have sewed several gifts for baby showers (burp cloths, bibs, bucket hats, baby shoes, receiving blankets). I have just completed my first blind hem stitch--hemming my husband's pants. Today I decided to try out my twin needles when re-purposing my husband's torn jeans to shorts. I had no problems when practicing; I started out with straight stitch and decided to back stitch to lock in place. This caused my needle to break. Is there a trick to back stitching when using twin needles--or do I not even have to back stitch?

Re: Is there a trick to backstitching when using twin needles?

If you must lock the stitch, try this: raise the needles, pull the fabric back toward you about a half inch, and stitch over it again.

Comment

Is this covered in your owner's manual? Is there a customer service number to call? Have you tried finding a you tube for this step of sewing?
      Just some ideas

Comment

The trick is — don't. Underneath, the bobbin thread zigzags and if you reverse or back stitch it just all gets pulled tight and ...snap.

Does your machine have a lock stitch? I can't recall if that model does, but it might. Alternatively you can just tie off the threads, or set your stitch length to zero briefly and force it to lock stitch that way (go slowly and test that).

Comment

I would do the lock stitch (stitch in place for three or four movements of the needle). Adding a careful dab of seam sealant never hurts.

Practice new techniques with like fabric. This helps to choose the correct needle, thread and stitch type.

Best wishes for many successful projects.
          Last edited by SewingBuddy; September 1, 2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Hi Lucie. I have a brother machine and very much enjoy it. I recently used the twin needles and was happy with the results. There are a couple of stitch choices for you on your machine. Choose the one with the dot rather than the double line at the start of the sample icon. This will allow your needles to raise and lower in place a few stitches rather than travel backward when you use the reverse button.
            Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

Working...
            X