X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mishi
    replied
    Re: Quilt back too short

Thankfully when I did it, it was on a practice piece. I haven't removed it from my leader....I just put that one in a drawer for later

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

It has happened to me :-( I managed to salvage the project. Sharing what I did. Hope it helps.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...route-yes.html

Leave a comment:

• Carlie Wolf
    replied

You 're so smart Vonnie. When this happened to me I fortunately had a very wide border (10") on the quilt, removed the stitching in the leaders (4" worth) and then cut the border down shorter on the top and bottom of the quilt. So I lost a total of about 8" from the length of the quilt. I didn't even think about adding more backing and sewing a seam.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• suzjr
    replied

Thanks for the info. I have decided just to remove all the stitches and not worry about any broken stitches. I used the skinning method to take out the stitches.It is going pretty quick and so far I been lucky and not cut the back of the quilt.

Once again thank you so much for the reply.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

If it was a large stipple then I would just remove stitches back far enough that you would be able to sew a seam line down the edge. Maybe an inch back. What I do is also leave a couple inches (if I can) thread tail. I use the top tread to pull up the bobbin thread, tie it then I use a self threading needle to bury the thread tails. Then I very carefully place the needle down where I left off, then pull up bobbin tail, take tiny stitches then pick up the quilting design. I usually bury those thread tails again unless it's in a busy section and won't be noticeable if I just clip it close. Depending on how large your quilt is this might take a while.

The needle I like is from Fons and Porter. If the thread tail is really short, I stick the needle down in the quilt and use tweezers to pull the thread through the needle. It really does work. The slot is on top of the needle. I also sometimes have to use the tweezers to get a good grip on the needle to finish pulling it through.

https://www.amazon.com/Fons-Porter-T.../dp/B000J3X5YG
    I pretty sure I bought mine from Joann's. It's been a while and one package lasts a very long time.

Also, I like to use the eyebrow trimmer to remove stitches to the leader cloth. Works really fast.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Eyebro.../dp/B00632AAXQ
    I found out about these from someone on this forum. It's really fast to use it. Just remember to pick the last few stitches so you have a tail to bury.
    Also, I found mine at a beauty supply store real cheap, less than $3. Don't know if Walmart has them or not.
    Last edited by Vonnie; August 30, 2016, 04:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• suzjr
    replied

Thank you for answering Vonnie. It was a free motion stipple. A large stipple. I can post a pic. What part do you need to see?

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

I feel your pain! I quilted into my leaders once - not fun!

Can you post a picture? What type of design were you quilting? Was it a computerized one or a panto-graph or just free motion?

Leave a comment:

• suzjr
    started a topic Quilt back too short

Quilt back too short

Hello ladies,

I know all of you say it has happened to you before but it is quite embarrassing to have to come here and say "ohh my quilt back is 4 INCHES TOO SHORT !! That is how far I quilted into my leaders before I realized I ran out of backing.

I am confident I can add some more to it while it is on the frame but I'm concerned with all the broken stitches! What will I do about that? H.E.L.P :icon_sniff :( I tried to find an icon for pulling my hair out ...but no luck, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Working...
X