Border order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border order

I'm to the point of putting the borders on a baby quilt and have a question. The pattern says to put the side borders on first. I have to piece two strips together for the borders to fit. Then put the top and bottom borders on. Again, I'll have to piece them.
    If I put the top and bottom borders on first, I could use a single strip without seams.
    Is there some reason the side borders have to go on first?

Thanks!

Re: Border order

I was taught to always sew on the side strips first. Top & bottom go on last. It doesn't matter if the strips need to be pieced. How wide is the border? If it's >3", I would piece it with a straight seam. If less, then I'd do the diagonal seam. Be sure your strip is longer than what you measure so you don't run out. As a new quilter, I learned that the hard way.

Comment

The strips are 4.5in wide. They have a fir tree branch pattern, so a seam could be disruptive to the eye.
      I'm probably over-thinking this.

Comment

There are no rules. If you can add them without piecing, no problem. If your quilt is rectangle, adding the sides first will usually require less fabric (if you are doing them w/o piecing).

Comment

So you can do it the other way although not traditional but it creates a subtle difference when its viewed its up to you if you like it that way here is a webpage that gives you some pictures to show the different look to putting on the borders in that order.
          http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...der-hints.html
          Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterFrawg View Post
            The strips are 4.5in wide. They have a fir tree branch pattern, so a seam could be disruptive to the eye.
            I'm probably over-thinking this.
            For something like that I try to match the pattern. It doesn't have to be exact. In this case, for instance, try for straight lines rather than cutting off the tree trunks. I think sides first or tops first is a matter of choice.

Comment

How about cornerstones that match the quilt. Then you wouldn't have the problem.

Comment

All good info!
                I may just explore the cornerstones idea.
                Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                X