Which to use for border?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which to use for border?

I am putting together this project of Dutchman's Puzzle. I have two fabrics that might work for the sashing. I am using Edith LC for the squares https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ith-10-squares

Which fabric would you use, the left or the right..or would you recommend something else. Thanks!File Aug 28, 8 04 21 PM.jpg
    Cindy

Re: Which to use for border?

I like the darker purple.
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

The darker one too.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I don't like either one of them. I'd go with the coral. I think it would go better with all the fabrics.

Comment

definitely the darker one

Comment

Purple-holic here. I like both but maybe the darker?

Comment

I'm going to be the weird one here because I like the lighter colour to the left.

Comment

Do you have a purple-ish shade somewhere between these two samples? I like the coral idea too.

If you want to decide between these two.....can you open the sample border fabrics up and lay the block on top of each one where the border fabric will show on all sides. Then take a picture of each. Looking at two different pictures can be very helpful in making a decision.

Pretty block....
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

For me it would depend on what's next to the sashing. Do you have a border fabric?

Comment

I like the darker one.
                    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Okay, I'm confused. Is this for a border or sashing?

I prefer the purple on the left - the lighter purple, either for border or sashing. I think the dark purple overpowers the other colors in the block. Although, if it is for sashing, it would be nice to see the fabrics narrower, and between several blocks.

I'm not sure about coral - but perhaps coral cornerstones, again, if this is about sashing. I think another option could be a brown, for the sashing, in the same shade as the ditsy print brown in the block.

And, on a side note, I never realized this block was made with 1/2 square triangles. Pretty neat.
                      Last edited by Sylvia H; August 29, 2016, 12:14 AM.
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Yes, this is for a 2" sashing. I do plan to use Kona chocolate for the cornerstones. I think I'll cut 4 strips of each and put them around the square and see what that looks like. I hadn't thought of using coral because I don't have any on hand and I think it's just the picture that makes the flower look coral. Here's the picture of the fabrics in this line

cd8a91a1-2531-32ed-8f32-f73711885e7d.jpg

I also wanted to add that the border (5") that I will use is the purple plaid in the second row, 5th over. Thanks again for your help.
                        Last edited by seaturtle; August 29, 2016, 07:42 AM.
                        Cindy

Comment

Have you considered using one of the neutral prints from this fabric line instead of the purple? I think the purples over-power your beautiful block and I opt for highlighting your piecing vs. pulling the eyes to the sashing color. I love your block and your quilt is going to be beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                            Have you considered using one of the neutral prints from this fabric line instead of the purple? I think the purples over-power your beautiful block and I opt for highlighting your piecing vs. pulling the eyes to the sashing color. I love your block and your quilt is going to be beautiful!
                            No, I hadn't considered a neutral - I'll see what I have and then do some strips so I can lay it out to look at it again. Thanks for that suggestion.
                            Cindy

Comment

Working...
                            X