Stitch Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch Length

Just curious to learn what stitch length you use for piecing vs. topstitching vs. quilting. I have been making a lot of totes using jelly rolls. I have been using 2.4 for the piecing and the topstitching, which is actually quilting since I am attaching it to the batting. I have not increased the stitch length for the quilting stitch. Do some of you use a longer stitch?

Re: Stitch Length

I like to use 2.0 or shorter for piecing. Leah Day uses 1.5 because she presses her seams open. When quilting I use 2.5 for straight stitching with the walking foot. 3.0 for something thick like fleece or minky.
    Vonnie

Comment

I noticed that when I set my machine to 1/4" quilting it automatically sets the stitch length to 1.8. Personally, I think 2.0 is better. Those 1.8 stitches are so small it's not easy to rip if need be. On may Youtube videos the professionals are setting there's to 2.0. Often they set 1.8 for paper-piecing.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Both my machines default to 2.5 for the stitch length, and so I use that for piecing. I have been satisfied with the result. I move it down to 2.0 for foundation paper piecing.

When I am quilting, I usually take my stitch up to 3.0, just because I am going through more thickness. If I am using 40 or 30 weight thread for quilting, and I really want the stitches to show, I will increase the length to 3.5 or 4.0.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

This helps me - make a test sample from scraps of the project fabrics and batting. This way I can test the thread, needle, stitch length, tension, presser foot selection as well as the presser foot pressure (if this is an option on your machine).

Comment

My machine also defaults to 2.5, which is what I use for piecing. If paper piecing, I use 2.0. Quilting with the walking foot, I use 3.0, sometimes 3.5. Stitch length for top stitching is going to depend on the stitch you select. My computer has default settings for each one, but I adjust them as needed. I use a curved serpentine stitch for basting the edges of the quilt sandwich. I keep the width at 4.0 & make the stitches quite long so they are easy to remove if needed.

Comment

hum...my machine generally defaults at 2.5 and sometimes, I move it to a 3 because it seems to do alright there especially if I am sewing on the bias like on hsts.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

[QUOTE=SewingBuddy;901151] This helps me - make a test sample from scraps of the project fabrics and batting. This way I can test the thread, needle, stitch length, tension, presser foot selection as well as the presser foot pressure (if this is an option on your machine).[/QUOTE
                That's what I do also.

Comment

Working...
                X