English paper piecing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English paper piecing question

I would like to do a small size maybe a wall hanging size Grandmother's flower garden quilt but I have never really done any English paper piecing. I am looking for suggestions on a good beginners book or pattern that I could buy and was wondering what would be the best book?

My husband and I go to Florida for the winter and it difficult for me to take my sewing machine and everything I need to do a large or even a small quilt with the limited space we have in the car. My husband keeps telling me he will make the room even if he has to leave most of his fishing stuff home. I don't want him to do that because he just loves to fish. So I thought since I have always admired grandmother's flower garden quilts and thought I would like to attempt one that would be the sewing project I could take with me. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone has.

I hope everyone in the quilting community of Missouri Star is doing well and has a awesome weekend.

Kat 2 (Kathy W.)

Re: English paper piecing question

Puriest EPP Hexi Flowers (800x477).jpg

Kathy...I looked on Pinterest and Googled English Paper Piecing patterns and came up with my own.....it is busy hand work and you have many little hexis before you know it!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Another hand work idea would be yo yos. I made a bunch in Christmas fabrics and sewed them together for a garland.
      Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

"Quilting on the Go" by Jessica Alesandrakis is a great intro to English Paper Piecing.

paperpieces.com is an excellent source of supplies. Their service has always been great, too. I think this would be an excellent solution to not having a machine with you.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

At www.paperpieces.com they have all the paper shapes you could ever want plus some free layouts and information. These are good people to do business with. I think you will love EPP and will soon become a 'Hexnut' like many of us!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I just finished a Gail Garber pattern and loved they way she uses freezer paper to keep the snips of fabric from slipping during construction. I photocopied the pattern (it was in a magazine), enlarged it according to instructions and then printed the pattern on freezer paper sheets. I found the sheets at Fons & Porter and Hobby Lobby. Not all designs require enlargement, if they do, a office supply store could do the photo coping and printing for you.

I would take the sewing machine with me even if I had to set it on the floor of the vehicle, between my feet!

PS: Just found this and it looks like a good introduction to various patterns - http://www.connectingthreads.com/Boo...r__D46352.HTML

This tutorial looks easy to do - https://pananani.wordpress.com/2013/...lt-tutorial-2/
            Last edited by SewingBuddy; August 20, 2016, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Check out YouTube. That's how I'm learning. I 'took' a Craftsy class and it was not very good. While I did pick up a thing or two the teacher was stiff and never elaborated on anything.

So, I use Google to find sites to read and YouTube to watch how others get it done.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advise/suggestions. I will be checking out all of the sites suggested. This information will help me make up my mind in what I want to do. I will also be checking out the different tutorials. I just love this forum because everyone always has much great information to pass on.

Comment

The Millefiori Quilts is a great book for paper piecing. This blog describes the work if you are interested. http://thelittleredhen.typepad.com/m...lia-train.html
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X