Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What thread for piecing?

Hi all
    I just wanted to know what thread you guys use for piecing.
    I've been using a 50wt cotton by Gutermann & I do notice that it does lint up a bit.
    Now I'm considering Invisafil 100wt or a 80wt polyester.

What you you think?

Re: What thread for piecing?

I swapped to Aurafil 50wt for the same reason; my Gutterman 50wt, particularly the white was shredding and linting like crazy. Since swapping to Aurafil I have had no such problems at all.

Comment

My favorite is Aurafil 50 but with shipping and duty tax it becomes really expensive for me. I save it for piecing blocks with lots of snow balling and or pieces ( like Lori Holts blocks). For simple quilts , for example a Yellow Brick Road, I use a local brand 100% cotton.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I like Masterpiece by Superior and just use a neutral color, beige or grey mostly but I have used fuschia when I got a spool as a trail. It was amazing how little the color showed up.
        Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

I like both Aurafil and Masterpiece. If you sign up with the Superior website, they put their thread for 20% off fairly frequently. And if you don't care what color you use - their try me packages are a great way to try their threads.
          Debbie

Comment

I mainly use polyester thread. I really don't think cotton thread is necessary but many would disagree with me on that.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I use 50 wt. cotton thread which I get on a large cone at my LQS. I don't know who makes it, but I've used it for years. It doesn't cost as much as Aurifil. It's sort of a beige color that blends well with most fabrics. If I'm sewing on darker prints, I use the same brand thread only in a gray color. Before switching to the large cones, I used to buy the Coats & Clark spools at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Superior brand cotton. Poly tends to have some stretch to it.

If you have never seen a "Mother Superior", or "Dr. Bob" video, you are in for a treat. You can find them at the Superior Threads website.

And, the jokes are pretty funny - https://www.superiorthreads.com/jokes/
                Last edited by SewingBuddy; August 17, 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I think thread depends on your budget and your machine. My Viking Husqvarna doesn't care what thread I use. As far as piecing, poly would work as well as cotton unless you are a purest. I have been using connecting threads cotton because of the price and yes, It is linty. I ordered some superior so fine and it is very nice . Guttterman doesn't bother me and I'm willing to use other peoples rejects. So again, budget and your machine.
                  success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                  Terry of NC

Comment

I mostly use Aurifil 50W - although I recently purchased MSQC thread but have not tried it yet. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance.
                    ***Kathy***

Comment

I use a Superior Threads' 40 wt poly (purchased on a closeout sale for less than $3.00 for 6,000 yards)!

I use for piecing and quilting -- no problems yet.

Note, however: I do NOT use written patterns! I know that 40 wt will take up a pinch more seam allowance than 50 wt, and over the width and length of a quilt that could mean a few inches in both directions.

This doesn't bother me since I don't make quilts from written instructions -- I usually use one of Jenny's tutorials or my own creation and then add rows or columns or borders if needed if I want my quilt a bit longer or wider.

Like Hulamoon, I am not concerned with using poly thread, but prefer Superior's poly because I trust it more.

If you have not watched Superior Threads' threadology series on Youtube -- it is a MUST and an interesting watch re: all things you never knew about thread (and some info on needles)!
                      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I live in New Zealand & sometimes the deals in the US are great but after shipping & the exchange rate are calculated it still works out quite pricey. I'm still trying to convince the husband that moving to the US for cheaper quilting supplies is a workable idea

In the meantime, I'll try out the Aurifil here. It's a bit more expensive than Gutermann but I would like to see how it compares.

Comment

I use Coats and Clark for everything. Have used it for years, never gives me a problem.
                          Occasionally I do buy specialty thread for quilting but not often.
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post
                            I use a Superior Threads' 40 wt poly (purchased on a closeout sale for less than $3.00 for 6,000 yards)!

Note, however: I do NOT use written patterns! I know that 40 wt will take up a pinch more seam allowance than 50 wt, and over the width and length of a quilt that could mean a few inches in both directions.

This doesn't bother me since I don't make quilts from written instructions -- I usually use one of Jenny's tutorials or my own creation and then add rows or columns or borders if needed if I want my quilt a bit longer or wider.

Like Hulamoon, I am not concerned with using poly thread, but prefer Superior's poly because I trust it more.

If you have not watched Superior Threads' threadology series on Youtube -- it is a MUST and an interesting watch re: all things you never knew about thread (and some info on needles)!
                            Thanks for reminding me about that. I watched it about a year ago & at that time I was trying to learn more about needles. It was really helpful & the reason I switched to topstitch needles.
                            I think I'll rewatch them. He had a great way of explaining things that made very good sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post

I never said anything on this thread, but thanks for thinking about me

I have a ton of thread from making clothes and use whatever I have for piecing, I don't even know the weights.I did invest in some Aurfil 50 recently. I also got some 40 for free lace ornaments and sashiko embroidery. That's if I get my embroidery machine back from my daughter!
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X