Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What thread for piecing?

Hi all
    I just wanted to know what thread you guys use for piecing.
    I've been using a 50wt cotton by Gutermann & I do notice that it does lint up a bit.
    Now I'm considering Invisafil 100wt or a 80wt polyester.

What you you think?

Re: What thread for piecing?

I swapped to Aurafil 50wt for the same reason; my Gutterman 50wt, particularly the white was shredding and linting like crazy. Since swapping to Aurafil I have had no such problems at all.

Comment

My favorite is Aurafil 50 but with shipping and duty tax it becomes really expensive for me. I save it for piecing blocks with lots of snow balling and or pieces ( like Lori Holts blocks). For simple quilts , for example a Yellow Brick Road, I use a local brand 100% cotton.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I like Masterpiece by Superior and just use a neutral color, beige or grey mostly but I have used fuschia when I got a spool as a trail. It was amazing how little the color showed up.

Comment

I like both Aurafil and Masterpiece. If you sign up with the Superior website, they put their thread for 20% off fairly frequently. And if you don't care what color you use - their try me packages are a great way to try their threads.
          Debbie

Comment

I mainly use polyester thread. I really don't think cotton thread is necessary but many would disagree with me on that.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I use 50 wt. cotton thread which I get on a large cone at my LQS. I don't know who makes it, but I've used it for years. It doesn't cost as much as Aurifil. It's sort of a beige color that blends well with most fabrics. If I'm sewing on darker prints, I use the same brand thread only in a gray color. Before switching to the large cones, I used to buy the Coats & Clark spools at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Superior brand cotton. Poly tends to have some stretch to it.

If you have never seen a "Mother Superior", or "Dr. Bob" video, you are in for a treat. You can find them at the Superior Threads website.

And, the jokes are pretty funny - https://www.superiorthreads.com/jokes/
                Last edited by SewingBuddy; August 17, 2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I think thread depends on your budget and your machine. My Viking Husqvarna doesn't care what thread I use. As far as piecing, poly would work as well as cotton unless you are a purest. I have been using connecting threads cotton because of the price and yes, It is linty. I ordered some superior so fine and it is very nice . Guttterman doesn't bother me and I'm willing to use other peoples rejects. So again, budget and your machine.
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

I mostly use Aurifil 50W - although I recently purchased MSQC thread but have not tried it yet. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance.
                    ***Kathy***

Comment

I use a Superior Threads' 40 wt poly (purchased on a closeout sale for less than $3.00 for 6,000 yards)!

I use for piecing and quilting -- no problems yet.

Note, however: I do NOT use written patterns! I know that 40 wt will take up a pinch more seam allowance than 50 wt, and over the width and length of a quilt that could mean a few inches in both directions.

This doesn't bother me since I don't make quilts from written instructions -- I usually use one of Jenny's tutorials or my own creation and then add rows or columns or borders if needed if I want my quilt a bit longer or wider.

Like Hulamoon, I am not concerned with using poly thread, but prefer Superior's poly because I trust it more.

If you have not watched Superior Threads' threadology series on Youtube -- it is a MUST and an interesting watch re: all things you never knew about thread (and some info on needles)!
                      Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                      http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I live in New Zealand & sometimes the deals in the US are great but after shipping & the exchange rate are calculated it still works out quite pricey. I'm still trying to convince the husband that moving to the US for cheaper quilting supplies is a workable idea

In the meantime, I'll try out the Aurifil here. It's a bit more expensive than Gutermann but I would like to see how it compares.

Comment

I use Coats and Clark for everything. Have used it for years, never gives me a problem.
                          Occasionally I do buy specialty thread for quilting but not often.
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post
                            I use a Superior Threads' 40 wt poly (purchased on a closeout sale for less than $3.00 for 6,000 yards)!

Note, however: I do NOT use written patterns! I know that 40 wt will take up a pinch more seam allowance than 50 wt, and over the width and length of a quilt that could mean a few inches in both directions.

This doesn't bother me since I don't make quilts from written instructions -- I usually use one of Jenny's tutorials or my own creation and then add rows or columns or borders if needed if I want my quilt a bit longer or wider.

Like Hulamoon, I am not concerned with using poly thread, but prefer Superior's poly because I trust it more.

If you have not watched Superior Threads' threadology series on Youtube -- it is a MUST and an interesting watch re: all things you never knew about thread (and some info on needles)!
                            Thanks for reminding me about that. I watched it about a year ago & at that time I was trying to learn more about needles. It was really helpful & the reason I switched to topstitch needles.
                            I think I'll rewatch them. He had a great way of explaining things that made very good sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post

I never said anything on this thread, but thanks for thinking about me

I have a ton of thread from making clothes and use whatever I have for piecing, I don't even know the weights.I did invest in some Aurfil 50 recently. I also got some 40 for free lace ornaments and sashiko embroidery. That's if I get my embroidery machine back from my daughter!
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X