Sudden Thread tension issues on a BabyLock Rachel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden Thread tension issues on a BabyLock Rachel

My Rachel is about a year old and within the last week it has developed tension issues. My bobbin thread is showing through the top layer...tension too tight. Here are things I have done to correct the issue. I have re-threaded my top thread and bobbin thread several times, cleaned out my machine, changed needles, turned it off and on, and played with the tension dial. Up until now, the tension had never been changed, I've used the same type and size of thread, and sewed through the same number of layers of cotton fabric. This machine is used exclusively for piecing tops. I'm at a loss as to why this sudden change in tension. My factory tension setting has an average range of 3-5. It had been set on a few ticks above 4. Now, no matter which direction I turn the dial, the tension doesn't visible change. And sometimes, two or three stitches will be normal, then suddenly it reverts back to what appears to be too tight of tension on the upper thread. Any other suggestions before I take my machine to the hospital?

Re: Sudden Thread tension issues on a BabyLock Rachel

Try using some UNWAXED dental floss and move it through your tension disks (unthread the machine first) to see if there is a piece of thread caught. It sounds like there might be since changing the number does you no good
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Yes, and if that doesn't work, change thread spools. You can now and then get a spool that has been wound too tight and the thread "grabs" coming off the spool. I would suspect this if the tension problem is giving you a few good stitches off and on.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I will try those things.

Comment

Also be sure your loaded bobbin looks normal. While I don't have a BabyLock, I once got carried away and my bobbin was wound too tight. I was reading manual and it took me a few seconds to realize I never took my foot off the pedal and I guess it tighten up the thread too much. Took me way too long to figure that out but things seemed fine when I put in a new bobbin.

Comment

I have wound bobbins too tight, to the point that it breaks the plastic bobbin. Talk about a mess!

Comment

Working...
            X