Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large applique on quilt top

Hi all
    I just bought the most gorgeous fabric to start my next quilt. SO excited!! Squeeeee!!!
    The block is going to be a type of square-in-a-square done in darker shades of blue with a grey solid tying it all together. I'm going for a Japanese look & feel.
    This one is going to be for the awesome husband who takes care of me while I quilt & makes sure I'm fed

He's really into Japanese anime & I want to applique one of his favourite characters onto the quilt top.
    I've seen pics of other quilts with large applique & would like to know if you would just cover up some of the finished quilt top with the applique (covering some of the blocks)?

My apologies if my explanation is not that clear

Re: Large applique on quilt top

That's exactly how I'd do it - applique is done over another fabric and sometimes over a pieced section.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Yes, that is the way I would do it.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Do you already have the applique design in mind? If not, google coloring pages and maybe you can find a design that way.

I have seen both. Some on plain fabric and some on pieced background. Both look great.

Please show us a picture when you are done.

I have even found fabric that had characters/design that I wanted to highlight. Fussy cut a large square or rectangle and treat it like a medallion quilt. It was dragon fabric and the dragon was about 18" high by about 12" wide. My son loved it and claimed it before I even said who it was for (and he's an adult!).

Here's some ideas: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.X1t-jcELyjo

Also, don't forget about Spoonflower - It's reasonably priced for being your own designed fabric. We recently used them for a memory quilt and were able to get 16 pictures per yard for about $17 a yard. Better quality than the fabric sheets you can buy and put through your printer and it's actually costs less. You can also browse through fabric that others have created and order it. Might be worthwhile to browse through it. http://www.spoonflower.com/how_it_works
        Last edited by Vonnie; August 14, 2016, 06:08 PM.
        Vonnie

Comment

Thanks for the great advice.
          I was thinking of appliqueing a silhouette like this onto the top : https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=e...hin+silhouette

Or I could applique in colours. I haven't quite decided yet.

Comment

Originally posted by RenC View Post
            Thanks for the great advice.
            I was thinking of appliqueing a silhouette like this onto the top : https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=e...hin+silhouette

Or I could applique in colours. I haven't quite decided yet.
            Very cool! That has my daughters boyfriend written all over it. I can't wait to see it!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Awesome! Are you going to use something like misty fuse?
              Vonnie

Comment

Hi Vonnie
                Yup something like that. I also have fusible tape so I don't have to fuse the entire applique piece. Just go around the edges with the tape so that the applique stays soft & doesn't feel stiff.

My big thing to figure out is how to get the teeny weeny pics I have enlarged enough to applique onto a quilt.

Comment

Working...
                X