Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HST blocks & layout math

For a knitter & quilter, I really should be better at math, lol

So, I have 4 charm packs I'm making into HSTs. I'm doing the "draw the line down the diagonal center, 1/4 " seam either side of line, cut on line, square up" method)

84 pairs of 5" squares should = 168 4.5" (unfinished) HST blocks, right?

How large will my quilt wind up? LOL I just can't seem to be able to wrap my brain around that one....

Re: HST blocks & layout math

Well you could do a 12 x 14 layout - you would use all your blocks and it would be 48 x 56. You could add border to make bigger. Of course instead of matching the charms together you could pair them with a plain background like a white and you would end up with more Half square triangles.
    Wendy
    http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

12 x 13=156, 13 x 13=169

12 x 4=48, 13 x 4=52

so if you make it 12 x 13 it should be 48 x 52. if you can get 1 more block, you could make it 52 x 52
      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

That would be enough for a quilt that is 12 x 14 squares. so 48 inches by 56 inches, by my calculations. But that was in my head, so.....a calculator may argue with me, haha.

Comment

apparently Deloris can calculate faster than I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
            That would be enough for a quilt that is 12 x 14 squares. so 48 inches by 56 inches, by my calculations. But that was in my head, so.....a calculator may argue with me, haha.
            yes, 12 x 14 =168. DUH !!!
            Last edited by Doloris; August 13, 2016, 07:25 AM.
            Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

In case you need the quilt to be a specific finished size, my word of caution would be to watch out for charm squares that aren't quite 5 inches (if you purchased rather than cut your own.) Most packs I've worked with have had this issue so my HST ended up 4 1/4.
              Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

Math really isn't my thing... But... I would probably add white squares, and double my number iof HST's...unless you are going fir a scrapper look.....

It just depends on the look you are aiming for....

In any case, we'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with your HST's...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

I will plan on adding a border - instinct was telling me it wouldn't be too large, but I just co u knt visualize it.

Comment

Finally made the time to get this on the design wall image.jpg

Comment

And I can't make the picture go vertical. Sigh. Lol

Comment

Well I just tilted my head ... anyway you look at it, it is a beautiful quilt.

Comment

Thanks!

Somewhere I've gotten a few of the squares turned around I think but I can't figure out which ones, even with the picture, lol. Well, I suppose if I tried harder I could. But then I'd have to decide on ripping or not, and since I have today & tomorrow to get the top finished & start the quilting and maybe add a border, I'm not going to. I'm still not sure how large it's going to wind up (pesky math!) And I need to finish it next weekend so I can get it to my friend going into cancer treatment starting the 15th.

Comment

I don't think you have to rip them, if the HST's aren't sewn together, yet. Just turn some so the seams either go like this:
                            / / / / / or this \ \ \ \ or this / \ / \ / \ / \
                            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                            X