Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first quilt problem

Hi Friends,

After finally completing my first quilt, I washed it with color catchers and put it in the dryer. No problem with color bleeding, but two edges of one of my HST have split apart.

Any advice on how to repair it would be most welcome.

I could top stitch the two sides of the triangle with a satin stitch or top stitch the two sides down individually. Or I could try and repair the rip by hand stitching.

A beginner's problem, obviously.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Re: first quilt problem

Not quite the same as your problem, but when I first got him my dog chewed a small hole in one of my quilts. I could have tried to fix the exact seams by ripping out the torn pieces and stitching in new ones as I had spare matching fabric, but I was concerned it wouldn't look as nice as the rest of the quilt. So instead I decided to applique over the hole with an accent shape to make it deliberately stand out. Depending on how big the seams are that are failing, it might be an option for you too.

Comment

You are not alone with your first quilt problems. Before I got rely good with my 1/4 inch seam, I had seams come apart in the wash. Luckily, when this happens, it makes you watch your seam allowance closer the next time. It's never happened to me again.
      BTW?...I ended up hand sewing the seams that came apart.

Comment

If you have enough seam to fix I would hand stitch it. If it is frayed a bit you might put some fusible under befor trying to stitch The option to appliqué over it is always good too

Comment

I would just machine stitch, straight stitch, around the edges and do two lines of stitching close together. I would not do a satin stitch as I think it would stand out too much and bring attention to the area (that you are trying to hide/blend in). That's the same reason I wouldn't do applique over it. Besides the fact that I am not very good at it I think that also would scream boo boo look here..
          Last edited by jjkaiser; August 12, 2016, 10:22 PM. Reason: Auto corr

Comment

That's happen to me a few times I just hand sew them quickly and it's all good
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! In the end, I found two spots where the seams had split...probably due to poor fabric (old sheet material). I pinned the seams into place and then top stitched over the seams, not stitch in the ditch, but close to it.

Next time I'll be more careful with the seam width and choice of fabric. And find some fabric glue, just in case. I'll keep this little quilt as a reminder, too.

Your suggestions were a great help and support!

Comment

Working...
              X