Help on resizing a pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on resizing a pattern

I saw this pattern on Pinterest yesterday and I would like to make it. It calls for 4 1/2" squares at the center, then sewing triangles to the side. I would like to simplify a little and use charms for the center. What size should the side triangles be? Is there a formula to figure this stuff out? BTW, the pattern is free. I am hoping for a way to eliminate some of the cutting. Thanks in advance.

http://145578867.r.lightningbase-cdn...sing-Quilt.pdf
    Cindy

Re: Help on resizing a pattern

image.jpg

Looks like 3-1/2" to me! No math! Hypotenuse math makes my brain hurt!

Whoops! They cut 4 triangles from a square!

image.jpg

So it looks like 7" but I would add 1/8" to 1/4" and trim down if necessary! Good luck!

Try it out with scraps before cutting a whole bunch of these!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; August 11, 2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Jean. I will try 7- 1/4 and see if they are long enough. She used 4 1/2 square and then 6 7/8 cut along both diagonals. I thought I saw a formula sheet at one time that showed how big the square should be in order to get certain sized triangles, but I can't find it in my over-crowded bookmark folder!
      Cindy

Comment

According to my book, if you want your finished size to be 5" the size to cut square for quarter square triangles is 6 1/4. That's cutting twice on the diagonal.
        If you cut your square 7 1/4 your finished size will be 6".
        I keep a copy of All-in-one Quilter's reference tool by Harriet Hargrave under my cutting table. It has tables and charts for just about everything.
        sigpic

Comment

Laura, I took a 6 1/2" piece of paper and cut it on the diagonals. It works out with the 5" side. Thanks for posting the name of that book - I think I'll get one.
          Cindy

Comment

If you notice, the side triangles "arm" is the same 4 1/2" as the center square, so you know you have to have a 5" arm on your triangle. However, the problem you will then have is that when cut diagonally, you will not have a seam allowance. If you add 7/8" to that square it will allow for that. So, the answer is... 5 7/8" squares, cut on the diagonal will fit perfectly with a charm pack square.
            Joanne
            p.s. the others are correct, IF you are going to cut both ways diagonally. However, then you will have 2 sides of each that are on the bias. My way you only cut once diagonally. The formula is to add 7/8" if you are going to cut 2 half square triangles and add 1 1/4" if you are going to cut it on both diagonals.
            Last edited by morgans4; August 11, 2016, 11:02 AM. Reason: I want to add more

Comment

Okay, I think I've lost it somewhere. When I cut the squares from paper, it seemed to work with the 6.25". When I grabbed some scrap fabric, the actual diagonals (cutting both ways) gave me a little under 4.5" side. I then took a 7.25 inch square and cut that and it ends up just a shade over the 5" I was looking for. So I'm not sure why 6.25 worked on paper but not with fabric. I need to run some errands, but I will try again when I get home.
              Cindy

Comment

Beautiful quilt pattern!
                Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I'm home and I grabbed the squares from the trash and remeasured them. They are 4.5 - not 5 inches. So the 6.25" doesn't work for cutting on both diagonals. I also found the formula for figuring out the size. It's d = s * (sq rt)2 where d is the diagonal and s is the side. So Jean was right.
                  Cindy

Comment

Working...
                  X