1/4" ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/4" ruler

Justt wondering if anyone has experience with the Fons and Porter 1/4" seam ruler that they use to make HST? I saw it today on a tutorial and thought I might try it. I have a TERRIBLE problem with making HST!

Re: 1/4" ruler

My sister gave me a set as a gift one year. I like to use them, and think they are a good investment. I do think that drawing a line, corner to corner, and then sewing with a 1/4" foot works just as well - if that 1/4" foot is accurate!
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Is that the one for drawing the diagonal line on squares? I have it and use it quite often.

Comment

I have a set and use them, sometimes, especially when I need to sew exact HST's from pre-cut squares, I do like to make HSTs a bit oversized then cut to size.
        Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

I have one and I agree it works well. I like to use it on smaller squares (less than charm squares) or if I only need a small number of HST. If I need a lot of HST my preferred method is to press the square on the diagonal, wrong sides together so that I can put the right edge of my presser foot into the groove created by pressing. I find this gives me a pretty good result but as Sylvia suggested, this method does require an accurate 1/4" foot. There are lots of ways of making HST - play around with a few of them and I'm sure you'll soon find 'The One' for you!
          Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

I have one of those because in my first class they suggested I buy one for the hst's. I never really used it, until I learned paper piecing, and you really use it with that!!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use it all the time when making HST's and really find it works well! But, as others have said there are many ways to make HST's with an accurate 1/4 " foot. Good luck.
              Peggiep
              "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room." :)

Comment

I'm waiting to see what Bonnie Hunter's new triangle ruler is going to look like.
                Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post
                  I'm waiting to see what Bonnie Hunter's new triangle ruler is going to look like.
                  She showed it on quilt cam yesterday. I'll probably be ordering it along with her new book. She'll also be including her new template for finding your 1/4 inch seam and it has a guide for marking her bonus triangles. You can find quilt cam on YouTube.

Comment

If you're talking about the "stick" with a dash cut out for the cut line and you mark on oeach side, I have one, but what I appearently don't have is a marking pencil or other things that fits in the cut out that we're supose to mark in. If I skip the cutout and just mark on each side, my marking pencil puts me too far away from the template to make that 1/4"

My chalk pencil works once, than I have to sharpen again. I recently got a bohn fine line one, but it's white and doesn't show up.
                    Now I just use anything to make diagonal line, then sew 1/4" on each side of it. Then square it up. I thought about getting the june tailor one because her HST template is thinner and maybe I can mark inside the cutout easier.
                    Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                      If you're talking about the "stick" with a dash cut out for the cut line and you mark on oeach side, I have one, but what I appearently don't have is a marking pencil or other things that fits in the cut out that we're supose to mark in. If I skip the cutout and just mark on each side, my marking pencil puts me too far away from the template to make that 1/4"

My chalk pencil works once, than I have to sharpen again. I recently got a bohn fine line one, but it's white and doesn't show up.
                      Now I just use anything to make diagonal line, then sew 1/4" on each side of it. Then square it up. I thought about getting the june tailor one because her HST template is thinner and maybe I can mark inside the cutout easier.
                      I have one and use it sometimes, I use a mechanical pencil with it to mark either side of the ruler, not in the middle. The outside lines are your sew lines, you can cut the diagonal without a line pretty easily.

Comment

I always square up my triangle squares. I use that ruler and it's fine. In my opinion, it's easier to just draw one line and use the 1/4" foot to sew on either side of the line. I actually like Fons and Porter's 1/2 and 1/4 square triangle ruler. It's terrific to use when cutting from strips. Since I oversize and square up I work a lot faster since I don't have to worry so much about precision.
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I, too, have that ruler and use it to make my HSTs.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                          The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Thank you, Everyone for your input and opinions on the ruler. It's relatively inexpensive on Amazon, so I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm not familiar with Bonnie Hunter or her rulers. I'm going to look into that as well. Thanks again! I enjoy all of the opinions found on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post

I don't think what you are describing is what she is writing about. For the one that I have, you do not draw the cut line. You draw the stitching lines, and then, after stitching, cut between them.
                              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...
                              X