Newbie stuck Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie stuck Suggestions

I recently bought two 10" layer cakes to make the disappearing hour glass blocks. The print is smaller than the white so I used the print per Jennie's suggestion to pick one and stick with it. Unfortunately almost every block is a slightly different size after cutting and putting together. It's not the seams or the cutting I made sure. If I trim them down so they are all the same size won't I cut off my star points when I divide the block into thirds? Any way to correct it before I do the final cut? Thanks for any imput!

Re: Newbie stuck Suggestions

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm trying to figure out what is the solution to your problem. Can you post pics? Do you mean your 10" printed square is smaller than your 10" square of white fabric? Or is the problem after you sew? Sorry, just want to be able to help get you back on your way.
    Barbara
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Thanks Barbara. The print 10" square is smaller than the white 10" square. Once I made my hour glass block they were different sizes and some were off square. Normally I'd just square up the blocks and cut down to match the smallest block but I'm thinking if I do that it will cut off my points when I continue to cut the block up to make the disappearing hour glass. You can see when I center the block under the square ruler one side is larger than the other. image.jpg.

Comment

I hope you know we all want to help you get this figured out. Please explain what is the tape outline on your ruler..? Did you put that tape on there to show the seams if the block? You are nit SEWING your blocks to fit those lines, right?

I DON'T think all is lost. I DO see some quality one-on-one time with your favorite seam ripper to get these blocks on-track before you continue on to putting the quilt together.
        Barbara
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

You should make sure the squares are the same size before you sew them, but there's no going back now, so . . .
          unstitch the half square triangles [you've got 4 in that block] from each other [leaving the Half square triangles themselves intact], and then square those up using the diagonal line on the ruler and the seam line. Make those all the same size. If the smallest one turns out to be 4" then make them all 4" Then sew those 4 HST's back into the block. You'll find your block is now pretty square.
          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Pretty curious has the right idea... It seems like a lot of wotk, I know, but the end results will be worth it,

Half-square-triangles (HST's) are funny thungs.... They never seem to find out right on their own, and most need squatting up... Many if us deliberately oversize our HST's, then trim to size... Yes, it's an extra step..but do worth the effort...

I'm sure some quilter's never have to do this, but I do, and really don't mind trimming the little guys down to size... In fact, it's kind of satisfying, go see how nice they look..

Good luck,

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I agree with Pretty Curious and Sandy. I am also careful when pressing because I tend to stretch half square triangles.

Comment

I always square up my HST before I join them. I encountered the same problem when I made this quilt. I never can get my HST the same size like Jenny without squaring them up.....sometimes, my quilt ends up slightly smaller than Jenny's because I am trimming before I join, but it makes me much happier in the end because my blocks end up the same size. I know it is a bit extra work, but I don't mind.

Comment

I also agree with the others. I always make my HSTs larger than necessary (by 1/4-inch) and then trim them down to size. Makes putting together the blocks so much easier. And I am always very careful when pressing them since they can easily get distorted.
                  Nice job so far. Good luck!

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                  The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Thanks so much for the input. I was at a loss as who to ask so I really appreciate the lesson. I have the block on my light box so you're seeing the seams. Seam ripper ready! LOL. I'll deconstruct the block, leaving the half square triangles intact. Square those up using the smallest one as my guide. Then back on tract. Luckily I didn't make all the blocks before I figured out it wasn't going to fit together properly. Just 12 to take apart. Big Hugs to All

Comment

Working...
                    X