Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does this layout have a name? (pic added)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does this layout have a name? (pic added)

my sister-in-law sent me a pin of a quilt that she was entranced with despite it $800 price tag. And as i looked at it i couldn't find a good reason for the price tag - it not a new design/layout, the colors were not unique, and the quilting was of minimalist design. But she did ask if there was a name for the design and i didn't fine one but maybe this community of learned quilt historians might know.
    note: this is not the quilt pic she sent me.. but it is the same design/layout (if the pic works)

quilt in question.jpg
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

Re: does this layout have a name? (pic added)

It's one of a hundred way's to arrange hst's. $800 !! What kind of fabric was it?

I put in radiating hst on Pinterest and these came up.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/117797346473453551/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/279082508133148253/
    Last edited by Hulamoon; August 7, 2016, 12:04 AM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I don't know the name of this but it would be easy to make.
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

well here is the web site for the $800 beastie - and the fabric is nice but nothing i would think was 800 bucks worth, and it IS hand quilted with embroidery floss but the design is ...simple. Not discounting simplicity, but i think its the price tag that keeps me from getting super excited... my sister-in-law wants one like it and i was afraid that it might have had a copyrighted name (especially with that price tag{ which sold, btw}) and if i made it i would be risking a bit of trouble. But i don't think i will worry about the "quilt police" on this one just yet. Thanks everyone.
        A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

Comment

It's just lots of HST's right? Use Jenny's method and blow through it.

Comment

Probably priced that high because it was hand quilted with embroidery floss.
            Cost of goods and time. We always tell ourselves do not undersell or give it away based on time put in and materials.
            Who knows, it may also have been hand pieced.
            Happy Quilting!

Comment

Ok, just looked at the actual quilt. Very pretty! But very pricey for the size.
              It is made of cotton and linen, and comes with pillows.
              Looks like a variation of Ocean Waves
              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Looks like some of the fabric was hand printed by the quilter, as well. You know how expensive those hand made fabric prints are.

Comment

That would be a high price if it was ordinary, but the description outlays the handcrafted artisan nature of the quilt. That's very different territory than M* style quilts made from mass produced fabrics and made to be used and loved.

* you don't need to worry about copyright if you're just making it for a gift, it's when you produce some and sell for a profit that you're stealing money from a designer. And quilting/crafting is rather like recipes as far as copyright goes; the ingredients are all the same but it's the design and presentation (in the case of recipes, instructions) that make a design unique and copyright-able. That design you showed has been done to death, but this one is unique in its fabric and stitches and artistry, and you couldn't copy all that and sell them as your creation.

Comment

IMO, that's an outrageous price for such a simple designed quilt! It's only 60" x 60" square, not even large enough for a bed. There are a zillion ways to lay out HSTs. Since it's an old block pattern, I can't imagine that there is a copyright on anything. Using Jenny's method for HSTs, this design would be easy. Just lay it out like you want it.

Comment

I hope you find this link useful. No copying here because it is a free pattern!
                      http://www.modabakeshop.com/2015/03/...triangles.html
                      The center special appliqué could be omitted.
                      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm excited that someone is getting good money for their work
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

Sorry, but I do not think this quilt is even close to being worth that, even with hand printed fabrics. The fabrics may be expensive, but that alone does not value this quilt. There is not even 6 yards of fabric in the entire quilt. The piecing is basic, and so is the quilting. Just straight lines, big stitch basically. The description leads one to believe it is unique in its design and quilting. Not even close. Any decent quilter could have this pieced and hand quilted in a week. or less. IMO
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Found this on Pineterest. Since there have been several forum threads on what to charge for a custom made quilt. Thought it might be of interest to see what this person has compiled. Kathy

All quilts cat tested and approved.
                            sigpic

Comment

Wayyyyyyyy over priced, for what they asked there should be a whole lot more hand quilting, looks very skimpy to me. Also their pillows are over priced too, and the black and white ones the machine quilting is pulling sideways on almost every row, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X