Zipper Quilt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zipper Quilt Questions

1. I just finished my first zipper quilt top using a Benartex Catalina DD charm pack ordered over 3 yrs. ago. Could never decide what to do with it. Sadly I still haven't learned how to FMQ. Does anyone have suggestions for quilting using a walking foot? I looked for images but didn't see much except FMQ. How to quilt tops continues to be my biggest dilemma.

2. While I watched Jenny's tutorial, I followed the instructions in BLOCK since I liked the idea of sewing charm squares to strips first and then cutting in half instead of cutting and sewing 2-1/2" squares to each halved charm. I followed book for border instructions altho they puzzled me. It said to add top and bottom borders first and the two sides last. Just curious why ... Isn't the norm to sew side borders first?
    image.jpg

Re: Zipper Quilt Questions

I sew the long side borders first and then the top and bottom borders. Sewing them the other way is also fine....just personal preference.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I like your quilt. That one is on my list for some charm packs I got a few years back. As for the quilting. How about using a quilting foot to sew straight lines horizontally through the center of each row. For the border you could also do straight lines to frame the quilt.

Comment

I really like your Zipper quilt!!! I agree that diagonal quilting would look nice. I agree with Bubby that it is personal preference fur the borders, but I think the Zipper quilt seems to have better movement when the sides go on last (and help to elongate the look of the quilt).
        Barbara
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Thanks very much for your comments & suggestions!

Comment

I tend to do the long sides first because the pieces of fabric you attach will be shorter than if you put them on last and had to also add in the width of the border from the top and bottom. This is especially helpful if you like to use the length of fabric to make the border strips to avoid piecing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
              I tend to do the long sides first because the pieces of fabric you attach will be shorter than if you put them on last and had to also add in the width of the border from the top and bottom. This is especially helpful if you like to use the length of fabric to make the border strips to avoid piecing them.
              That, and I like the part of the quilt I grab to pull up to my chin be the solid border piece. Maybe it's just me, though.
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
              X