Please Help With Tips on Layering A Quilt Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help With Tips on Layering A Quilt Sandwich

I just finished sandwiching two quilts this morning. There has got to be a better way. My back is killing me. I'm not a spring chick and have osteoarthritis but I'm not letting that stop me from doing my own housework and quilting.

I use the spray baste method. This time I used my quilters ironing board which is 6 feet long and about 18 inches wide. There is lots of re-positioning with this method and shifting and repositioning a bed sized quilt is hard for me. This time I carried my ironing board outside and did the quilt under a cover on concrete.

I have watched videos of different methods but most of them say this will also work with a bed sized quilt but they only show a throw or a baby quilt. Most all of the quilts I piece are bed sized quilts. I have two camp tables that I have used in the past but they are too low and that is uncomfortable also. Does anyone know if there are risers that might fit the legs of my camp tables?

Please if you have any tips share them. Meantime, I better go take some Aleve.

Jan

Re: Please Help With Tips on Layering A Quilt Sandwich

I, too, have back problems and dreaded the assembly of the sandwich. One day I was about to donate the table tennis table to clear space in the garage. Ended up taking off the net, and now I have a big, flat surface that folds up to use for quilts. Not perfect, but much better than before. I like using the spray basting. When I am finished, I use pool noodle floats to roll up the sandwich.

Comment

I used to do art shows and elevated our tables with bed risers. PVC pipe cut to the height you need may work as well, if the camp table has a support brace, or just cut longer pieces to go over the table legs.

Comment

I use the floor at the community centre for large quilts and pin baste. Works great for me.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw4sibuP8n4
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Since you are a spray baster you can save your back by spray basting on a wall. Here is a video with details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I've watched Karen use the spray basting, she made it look easy.

Comment

I have seen people use PVC pipes as risers for the legs on some tables. Sorry I don't have photos of it.

Comment

At home I baste on the wall. As long as you don't go crazy with the spray it works well.
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                    Since you are a spray baster you can save your back by spray basting on a wall. Here is a video with details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
                    Holy cow - that never would have occurred to me. This CHANGES EVERYTHING, lol. Wow.

Comment

Very helpful video. I'm definitely going to try this method!
                      I am Sew Blessed!
                      Alina

Comment

On Pintrest they show a method that you roll the quilt top and bottom separately on long boards. You can then unroll and pin sitting at the table. Tried this and was able to pin my queen sized quilt in a morning with no backache.

Comment

I spray baste, but do it on my design wall.... There is a good video, showing how to do this, on uTube... I'll try to find it for you,

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Anyone know where I can get a nice big wall? ;-) Unfortunately, that is one thing my home does not offer. All the outer walls have windows, the inner walls have furniture, we are in a split level house so we have no basement.

Comment

I said to heck with it and changed to quilt as you go. The sandwiches are the size of the blocks you made and you can figure out how to do it without sashing or with sashing. You can even do the borders as a single item.

Comment

Working...
                              X