Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I quilt with 'glow in the dark' thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How should I quilt with 'glow in the dark' thread?

I have a child's quilt that I want to quilt with blue, glow in the dark, thread. I recently learned that single stitching doesn't show the glow as much as heavier stitching, like a zig zag or satin stitch. I don't want to quilt with a heavier stitch, as I think it will be difficult to do, and it will probably cause the layers to gather, shift, and generally not lay well after the quilting is finished.

So, I am thinking about doing some heavy stitching on just the quilt top with the glow in the dark thread. Then I can layer, baste, quilt. But, again, I know that heavy stitching could cause the top to shift and change shape.

Should I use a stabilizer? And if so, what would be the best? I do have tear away stabilizer, but if I use a zig zag stitch, will it all tear away, or will bits get left behind?

Suggestions, recommendations will be appreciated.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: How should I quilt with 'glow in the dark' thread?

I have used the glow thread for embroideries but not for quilting yet. I would use a wash away mesh for stabilizer, a triple stitch if you have that option on your machine on the top then sandwich and quilt. With a triple stitch the thread will glow nicely.
    Most of the glow threads glow a greenish but Glide just came out with one that glows the same color as the thread. My LQS gave me a spool to test. Can't wait to try it.
    Hope this helps.
    Ann

Comment

They make glow in the dark thread?? Oh my goodness!

Comment

See how it was recommended for embroidery machines a couple of years ago. I'll bet it was triple stitched to get the effect.

Comment

I don't have an embroidery machine, nor do I have a triple needle. I am pretty sure I can purchase a triple needle for my machine, though. I do have a double needle for the machine. I'll do a bit of experimenting on orphan blocks, using stabilizer, and see how it looks. If necessary, I can scrap the idea of using the glow in the dark thread - but I though it would be pretty cool on a child's quilt.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

You do not have to have an embroidery machine to do a triple stitch. You don't need a triple (not sure they make those) or a double needle. Look for a symbol on your machine that looks like 3 sets of three stitches. Most machines have them nowadays. My older singer has a triple stitch.
            http://sewaholic.net/what-is-triple-stitch/
            If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

Originally posted by sleepydiver View Post
              You do not have to have an embroidery machine to do a triple stitch. You don't need a triple (not sure they make those) or a double needle. Look for a symbol on your machine that looks like 3 sets of three stitches. Most machines have them nowadays. My older singer has a triple stitch.
              Thank you for clarifying. I was just going to say that it is normally a stitch choice on your machine. I have used the triple stitch for topstitching areas where I want the stitching to really show. If you want check out Urban Threads website for Enchanted Garden. The site gives some information on glow threads. We stitched out all the designs and it really is neat. If the thread sits in the light during the day it will glow for about 6 hours. I have some fabric called "Out of this World" by Northcott and I plan on doing some topstitching using glow thread for effect - like around the stars and such. Can't wait to see pictures of what you decide.
              Ann

Comment

Originally posted by sleepydiver View Post
                Thanks for the clarification. I know I have that stitch on my machine .... I'm getting excited about using this thread.

Comment

I have some color changing thread . I'm still thinking about what designs I want to use it on.

Comment

Working...
                  X