• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Judi of Vermont
    Shiny Thimble
    • Aug 2016

Difference between broadcloth and muslin

I am not very knowledgable on certain fabrics, I was hopeful someone could clarify the difference between broadcloth and muslin and can you use them in quilts? I wanted to purchase a bolt of white and wasn't certain which fabrication to go with.
  • KarenC
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2015

Re: Difference between broadcloth and muslin

Please note this response is simply my opinion based on my experience. I find that muslin is a better fabric. I thought I'd be smart one day and purchased broadcloth for backing fabric because it was on sale. Well, that is the only quilt that I have quilted and subsequently spent a week ripping out all of the quilting (to salvage the top). The broadcloth was way too thin and just didn't look right for me. I do have to clarify that later I checked out the content, and the broadcloth I was using was 65% cotton and the muslin was 100% cotton. Of course, we all know there are different qualities of everything.
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

• SF Jen
      Batting Beauty
      • Jul 2014

I recently used what I thought was muslin for a quilt. The sales person said it was for pillow case covers (to cover the stuffing material). Any idea of what it actually is? Thanks for the help, as usual, Friends.

Comment

• LindaKay75
        The Guild President
        • Mar 2014

I've used muslin for sashing and I like it, no problems with cutting or sewing. My mother, years ago, always used muslin for her quilts and sewing. I use broadcloth mostly now and it's good too. I love Kona cottons.
        sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

• Judi of Vermont
          Shiny Thimble
          • Aug 2016

I love Kona cotton also, however JoAnn fabric only sold by the bolt muslin and broadcloth. It was very affordable to purchase by the bolt so I was considering making the purchase of the muslin.

Comment

• Deegles
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

I tend to shy away from broadcloth. Sometimes it is a cotton blend. Muslin is great, but purchase the right weight. I once sent someone to get muslin for me, and they came back with the cheapest they could find and it was paper thin.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• TMP
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2014

For my quilt backs I use Moda Bella Solids white bleached --100% cotton 44-45" wide item number 9900 98
              My local quilt shop orders it by the bolt for me and she sells it to me for 5.49 per yard. Each bolt has 15 yards. I have been well pleased with this product . It has a very nice feel to it not to thick and not too thin.
              Last edited by TMP; August 3, 2016, 05:10 PM.
              Teresa
              Pelham, Alabama
              War Eagle!!!

Comment

• grammaterry
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2015

I think you want to make sure it is 100% cotton and check for thickness. You'll know when you feel it.
                success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                Terry of NC

Comment

• giig21
                  The Guild President
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Judi of Vermont View Post
                  I love Kona cotton also, however JoAnn fabric only sold by the bolt muslin and broadcloth. It was very affordable to purchase by the bolt so I was considering making the purchase of the muslin.
                  That is what I do, JoAnn has different types and costs. Some as low as 1.99 and that i cut in half with 50% off coupon. Love it.
                  Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

• Rock
                    9 Patch Princess
                    • Jun 2016

Broadcloth is a cotton/poly blend, whereas muslin is 100% cotton. Both can be used in quilts, although my experience was not good when I used broadcloth for binding. When ironed, the polyester caused the fabric to shrink a bit. This changed the sized of my cut fabric, and closed up the weave, making it difficult for my needle to penetrate through the several thicknesses of the binding, almost breaking my needle.
                    Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

• Alpha O
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2013

Hancock's used to sell a perma-prest muslin. It was medium priced. I've done about everything with it including an heirloom sewn (pintucks and lace insertion) blouse which is still in use after 20 years.

I think the stuff is still around, but not sure what it's called now. Bought some medium priced muslin from Joanne that worked about the same.

The 36 inch muslin on a bolt is only good for what's called a "muslin" you make all the adjustments out of the cheap stuff and then cut your dress fabric.

Comment

• Snip Snip
                        Missouri Star
                        • Sep 2014

That polyester probably melted a bit, if the iron was as hot as we normally use it for cotton. You can usually tell if the fabric has polyester in it (if you get it at a rummage sale, as a freebie, etc) by ironing it. There is a certain chemical smell that is unmistakable. I received a bunch of free fabric but discovered it was all polyester blend, so I donated it. After washing and ironing.

Comment

• PrettyCurious
                          The Guild President
                          • Mar 2016

I was at Joanns looking for backing for a window curtain that would be in full sun, so that meant white. Of all the white fabrics I felt and held up to the light with my hand behind it so see if I could see my fingers, the one I liked best was - $19.99 a yard! I almost fainted until I saw it was Kona and 108" wide. So since 108 is 3 yards, if you divide $19.99 by 3 you get 6.67 and then use a 50% off coupon, you pay 3.34 a yard for the good stuff! I bought 3 yards $60 less 50% coupon, so I got 9 yards for $30.
                          I didn't even know Joanns carried Kona. Before buying the 108"I did look to see if they had it in 45" and they didn't.
                          Funny, I picked that Kona out of a sea of white fabrics and knew I had to have it before I even knew what it was.
                          My point is you don't always need "bolt" price. You can still be cheap like me, and get the good stuff.
                          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

• bec
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2011

Unfortunately, I didn't read this thread before I bought broadcloth at Joann's yesterday. I didn't get it for a quilt but for a little shirt...actually is a little doctor's lab coat for a 2 year old girl who likes to play dress-up. I made it to go with a kid's medical kit. Anyway... I used to sew clothes a lot...about 30 years ago and I don't remember broadcloth being so hard to work with. It was stiff and didn't have hardly any give on the cross-grain or even on the bias which made it difficult to ease in the sleeves of the shirt. It was also a little slippery and every seam puckered. I hate to think what it will look like when I wash it. This is the second time that I've bought fabric from Joann's that was sub-standard. The shirt is doable for dress-up, but not for regular clothing. Here's a pic, but it's hard to see the puckers. I pulled seams as I ironed to try to get some out.
                            IMG_20160806_025008498.jpg
                            Last edited by bec; August 6, 2016, 01:06 AM.
                            Bec

Comment

• PrettyCurious
                              The Guild President
                              • Mar 2016

Oh, that little shirt is so cute!
                              Don't worry, she won't notice anything but the shirt itself. Then she'll grow out of it, and you can make another with lessons learned.
                              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                              X