Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone out there do their own machine quilting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone out there do their own machine quilting?

I just recently machine quilted a baby quilt. It was my first try at this. It turned out OK, but was hoping some of you could give me some tips on how you do this. I know you are suppose to start in the middle and sew out. I used my walking foot. Any good advise or tips you can give me would be greatly apprciated.
    sigpic www.seejaysnotes.blogspot.com

Re: Does anyone out there do their own machine quilting?

If you are using a walking foot you shouldn't have to start in the middle...that's more for free motion.

My biggest tip is you can NEVER use too many pins or thread for basting....
    Michele

Comment

I do my own, but am not an expert. I practiced for about 6 hours before I tried my first meandering. My husband does excellent free motion quilting, but I'm not as artistic as he is. I start towards the middle, even using a walking foot. Extra insurance, I guess! I don't roll my quilts to quilt them, just "puddle" them and it works well for me. I think the thing that helps me the most is my Koala cabinet, which holds most of the weight of the quilt, so it doesn't drag.

Comment

I'm a novice and "quilt my own"... best advice I can give is patience and practice... and really get to know your machine's tension.

I don't roll mine either, I just pin like crazy and go to town. Call me weird (ok, that's a given), but I find doing my own quilting relaxing. There's a lady who lives near me she quilts her own on her regular machine -- yes, even the big ones! I figure, why not?

For me it's all a part of the game.
        "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Comment

I have tried it but find I do not enjoy it as much as hand quilting. I find that I always feel "in a hurry" while doing machine quilting but not so with hand quilting. Maybe it's because I am not so good at it and want to get it over! I bought a pair of the quilting gloves and find that they do help in handling the fabric.
          I'm going to keep working on it to see if my comfort level gets better, maybe every other quilt.
          Happy stitching!
          Patti
          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I have quilted many projects both free motion and stich in the ditch on my Janome 6260QC. The other replies have some great suggestions. The best advice I ever got was pratice, practice, practice. For free motion designs I get a pad of paper and practice drawing the design over and over....until it is automatic in both my brain and hands. Then I make up some quilt sandwiches (left over fabric and batting) and practice the design on the machine. Then just take a deep breath and go fo it.

Happy Sewing,
            Rae

Comment

When I asked this question way back a couple of years ago, I kept hearing practice, practice, practice. I also was told to relax my shoulders and pretend I was dooling on paper and just to go for it. IT WORKS!
              I also put on soft music sometimes to just get away and just let it be me and my machine. Sweet sounds of music and my machine are just wonderful!
              Live Simple, Love Much, Laugh Often

Comment

I haven't attempted free motion quilting yet so I stick to my walking foot. The only advice I have is to take the time when you're layering up your quilt to make sure everything is as flat as possible. I've started pinning everything together, picking it up, giving it a flap, lying it down again and checking for places where the fabrics shifted. Adding more pins there can prevent puckers when you quilt
                Quilting through the dull times
                northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X