• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quiltingaway
    replied
    Re: two different thread colours for quilt

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    I use clear Superior Threads monofilament most often in my quilts. Right now I'm working on a quilt where I used a light beige for the quilting design in the blocks. I used monofilament to stitch-in-the-ditch and to quilt the borders. Using clear thread to stitch in the ditch works really well and if you accidentally go out of the ditch it's a lot less noticeable than using regular thread. I, too, consider the backing so I don't have to worry about thread color choice working for both sides of the quilt.
    Yes, I have used it for ditch stitching too. When I do that I always use cotton thread in the bobbin.

Leave a comment:

• traildancer
    replied

This may not be an option on your quilt, but I have used clear thread on top and matched the bobbin to the fabric. This was for applique because when using the invisible thread, no matter what I do, I can not get perfect tension. So rather than fight it, it is easier to change the bobbin than to rethread the machine. For me it works swimmingly and I get a neat rendition of the quilt on the back!

Good luck. I think I would do as others suggested and use a neutral thread on top and bottom. I think it would make the job much simpler than worrying about changing threads.

Aaaaannnnnnnddd--once it's washed, it will be a different quilt!

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

I use clear Superior Threads monofilament most often in my quilts. Right now I'm working on a quilt where I used a light beige for the quilting design in the blocks. I used monofilament to stitch-in-the-ditch and to quilt the borders. Using clear thread to stitch in the ditch works really well and if you accidentally go out of the ditch it's a lot less noticeable than using regular thread. I, too, consider the backing so I don't have to worry about thread color choice working for both sides of the quilt.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; August 2, 2016, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway
    replied

I try to avoid using two colors of thread just for this reason. I also try to keep that in mind when choosing backing fabric. Is the thread at least the same weight top and bottom? If the weights are different, you will most likely have more tension issues. I personally avoid the clear thread option. I do think there are some nice clear threads available now, I just don't like the feel and look of the quilting. Like others have mentioned I would use a thread that blends with both sides. Grey is a good blender but if you have purple on both sides, maybe a light purple? Or even a pale blue.

Leave a comment:

• Granny Judy
    replied

I use only an off white/grey thread for top & bottom when I have a "color" problem. And reading a few blogs of "professional quilters" They do the same thing..And show their quilts all over the country.

So I fit in with the "big" girls. LOL

Leave a comment:

• DeniseSm
    replied

I have heard good things about Superior Threads clear thread Monopoly, but I have not personally used it. It is polyester, not nylon like other clear threads.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...brand=MonoPoly

An easier solution would be to use a neutral blending thread like gray or taupe or sand in both the top and bottom bobbin.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• abbie
    started a topic two different thread colours for quilt

two different thread colours for quilt

Hi everyone, I have a problem, I want to finish my quilt by doing stitch in the ditch, the top is all different colours and the back I have chosen a dark purple with white spot.. the issue I am having is that when I put dark purple in the bobbin and an off white in the top and sew with it , the purple comes through to the top of the quilt. I have tried all the tension options but cannot get it any better at all. I have the quilt all pinned and not sure now what to do with it. My machine is a janome 8200 ...
    Could I use a clear thread and if so what would someone recommend and is it ok for my machine ( I have heard some horror stories about the clear threads ..

thanks everyone , hope someone can help me ...
    cheers..
Working...
X