Bowed out strip sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowed out strip sets

What are the tricks to preventing strip sets from bowing out as you sew strips together? Help!

Re: Bowed out strip sets

The first step is to make sure your strips are cut on the grain. If not, they will have elbows, no matter what you do when sewing. For sewing, sew the strips in sets of two, then sew the pairs together. Alternate sewing directions with each seam. If you sew them all the same direction, that will encourage distortion.

Good luck! A long, straight quarter inch seam ain't easy.

Comment

Sew ever other row in the opposite direction.

When I sew strip sets I number each color. Then I sew a pair with the even number on top. So - 1 on the bottom, 2 on top. When I sew them into fours, I sew with the even number on top as well, which will be sewing the opposite way I sewed the pairs. That will be 3/4 on the bottom and 1/2 on top.

If you don't want to number them, another way you can tell is to leave a thread tail on the ends when you sew a seam. When you sew the next strip make sure there is a thread tail at the top when you sew. That will keep you sewing in opposite directions.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Press your seams open. That helps alot! Good luck

Comment

You have to sew each strip the opposite direction of the one you just sewed. Jenny explains this in her jelly roll race tutorial.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

I do what snippet said - leave the tails on the seams then alternate directions. The tail will show you where you started last.
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

every one here has the best answers. Just sew them all in opposite directions.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Claire.....this may be a stupid question, but how does one cut with the grain? I probably should know this, but I don't.

Thanks for everyone's tips.

Comment

To prevent bowing on strip sets I use the power cutting method for cutting my strips...brilliant for keeping "on grain" when cutting strips to avoid elbows and also for accuracy. Google Nancy Roelfsema, Quilt Show Tutorials, West Michigan Quilt Guild.

I also, like others, alternate my sewing direction but I use a sewing pin to pin through the the end I want to start sewing my next strip to. When I start sewing that strip seam I simply remove the pin and place it in the other end of my strip so when I get to the end of the seam the pin is there reminding me to start at that end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADVcwXkbig

Comment

Thanks, I'll check the tutorial out.

Comment

My Stripology ruler makes 2-1/2" strips a snap. You can cut up a jillion in 30 minutes and they are not bowed. Also, when pressing
                      2-1/2" strips be sure to press with an up and down motion--do not iron back and forth and be sure to lay the strips parallel to your ironing surface. Never let your strips hang over the ironing board.

Comment

Originally posted by janbee View Post
                        ... Never let your strips hang over the ironing board.
                        So how do you do that when you have LONG strips? Even WOF strips are way too long for my ironing board! And now I am trying to figure out how to press 6.5 foot long friendship braids straight and flat before sewing them together! All tips appreciated...

Comment

Working...
                        X