That awesome Alter Ego quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That awesome Alter Ego quilt

Hi all: I'm just about to start my alter ego quilt and wonder if I should make each four patch and hourglass using two layer cakes each, that is, not mixing the fabric patterns up too much. That would mean opposing colors in a block with fabric A and B. It wouldn't be as busy. Would that make sense? Or is my explanation poor? 😊
    Looking forward to your input!
    Thanks in advance,
    Frasse

Re: That awesome Alter Ego quilt

So, 2 layer cakes for the four patches and 2 other ones for the hourglass blocks? And at least one of the layer cakes for each kind of block will be a print (and the other a print or a solid)?

That seems like plenty of diverse fabric for this quilt pattern.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Yes, well, not many solids, but I've divided them into lights and darks, so one block would have say a purple stripe in the two 4.5" squares on the diagonal and the other diagonal would have say two 4.5" squares of a purple background with white dots. I would pair that with another sort of hour glass block, but it would be basd on the same principle. It's not the way Jenny did it, but I think it would be less scrappy. Thanks!

Comment

If you want less scrappy, that should work well.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Try two or three blocks before you commit. It is a "busy" quilt when completed (to me anyway) . I made this quilt for my DD. Loved making it.

Comment

Before you start cutting, you NEED to know something ...

... The Alter Ego Quilt won't work without some finagling!

Please read this thread before you start cutting up your layer cake.
            http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ght=mardi+gras

I didn't know this so, in order to finish, I had to add some fabric that I'd intended for the border.

Having said that, the Alter Ego quilt is a fabulous design. Enjoy the process!
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Thank you, I've checked those out and do have some extra material. I've also thought about making it 6x6. We'll see when I get that far.

Comment

Working...
              X