HST question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HST question

I'm following directions which state: " Using a ruler and a pencil, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of all of the background squares - Pair each strip block with a background block, right sides together, and with the drawn line facing up. Add a couple of pins along the drawn line. Now stitch a 1/4″ seam on both sides of the line, then cut the units in half along the drawn line using a rotary cutter"

My question is, wouldn't it be easier to cut the squares in half and then sew 1/4" seams on each piece? Is there a reason to sew the two seams first and then cut the squares? Forgive me if this is a dumb question and thank you for answering it.

Jeannette

Re: HST question

By using the instructions your blocks will always be repetively alike. Sometimes sewing 1/4 inch on the bias stretches and distorts during sewing so they are less precise. Try both ways and see which way you like best, and see which way has better results.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's much easier & faster to follow the instructions. If you cut the fabric apart first, then you'll be sewing on the bias, & there is more risk of stretching the fabrics & inaccuracies. Jenny makes HSTs by sewing on either side of the line & then cutting apart just like your directions. Make sure you press & square up each of the HSTs so they all are the same size.

Comment

Besides the bias, have you ever tried to start a seam on a triangle? The tip can get pulled down into the machine.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Wow, you guys are fast! I agree with what they said, lol!
          Cindy

Comment

I cut them in half myself but you must handle them very carefully and I usually make them just a bit bigger so I can cut them down. I also starch the heck out of the fabric before I cut it. It works better for me as I only really see out of one eye and lack some depth perception because of that and I can use my guide. Its not for everyone though as it is really easy to distort them.
            Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

That's just considered "the way" to do it. I don't use starch so I do the drawn line and cut them into triangles after. I think they come out more uniform like this. You still need square them up after cutting to make sure they are all equal sized.

Comment

I've learned in the form there is never ever a dumb question these ladies are amazing and never make you feel like you have a dumb question.
                sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

triangleonaroll-2.5finishedblock-200.jpg

Simply Brilliant (429x496).jpg

I have purchase these and I can't wait to try them jut to see how accurate my HST will look. I have a specific HST pattern I dying to try and ordered the Triangles on a Roll to speed up the process....
                  Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

All good answers. Sherri - I love that quilt!
                    ***Kathy***

Comment

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the help

Jeannette

Comment

And then there is the Fons and Porter half and quarter square ruler/template way to do them. I like that way pretty well. I think it saves a teeny tiny bit of fabric, too. I seem to do better when I have my fabric against the seam guide and the bias is not bad particularly on smaller HST.
                        I have some of that paper somewhere but have never tried it. It should work great if you are making lots of HST out of the same fabric rather than scrappy.

Comment

I like Fons and Porter's 1/2 and 1/4 ruler as well, Claire. Cutting strips and then cutting pairs of triangles is more efficient. Using the Wondercut ruler when making lots of the same HST's is a quick way to make them as well. Make sure to cut strips on the bias using this ruler. That way the HST's will come out straight-of-grain on the edges. I haven't tried the papers yet. Of course, some of it depends on what fabric I'm using. Certainly if I'm trying to make them from squares I'd draw the line and sew.

It's probably better to finger press them open and wait until the block is completely constructed before pressing if you are not squaring them up first. No matter how I make them I oversize them and square them up so I have less piecing issues. It doesn't take much time and it gives me more confidence that my pieces will fit well when I sew them together.
                          Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 31, 2016, 11:31 AM.
                          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Originally posted by klgls View Post
                            All good answers. Sherri - I love that quilt!
                            Kathy! I have been in love with it every since I got the magazine...in Spring 2015! Maybe it can be a project for this coming winter? I have the fabric purchased...I jut need the time to sub-cut and at least piece the HSTs.
                            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Sherri,
                              I used the half square triangles on a roll. LOVED THEM!!! Would buy more if needed for another project. I love accuracy and these babies sure do produce!

Comment

Working...
                              X