Basting Large Quilts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basting Large Quilts?

How do you baste large quilts where you don't have floor or table space? Am I missing a secret??
    Molly
    Gig 'Em and God Bless :icon_tup:

Re: Basting Large Quilts?

This is the method I use to baste a large quilt on a small table. It works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I've used it too. Works like a charm.

Comment

Thank you for posting this ... Great video.
        Shelley

Comment

Great idea! Thanks! Will have to go find a non-round table now :-)
          Molly
          Gig 'Em and God Bless :icon_tup:

Comment

I had forgotten about this video. Love the Skuurrs!
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I have basted a very large quilt by mounting it on wall.
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...el-kisses.html
              Preeti
              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

I will use the tables in the Fellowship Hall at church, sometimes only two---sometimes 3, depending on size of my quilt. In the Kitchen is a tall island that is great for lap quilts......of course, I do a cleaning job first. Tape the backing; position batting and top.. pin or baste as you desire. Works for me...

Comment

I cry and swear a whole lot, then I figure something out. The last two were done by folding the front and back to find the centers, then starting to pin in the center and smoothing as I moved outward. I've only got a space about the size of half a full bed to work with, and it was not fun. I had to re-adjust pins as I quilted.

Comment

I used to do in on the floor but the knees won't do that anymore. Now I go to our rec center push three large tables together and can do a king size, and pin away.

Comment

Another way would be to ask a longarmer to baste it for you. Don't know what they would charge you for just basting a quilt together.
                      Vonnie

Comment

This might not work for you but I basted large quilts this way (before I discovered 505 spray). My bathroom shower rod and bathroom closet shelf just happen to be across from one another; about a 12' span of space. I got a package of very thin rope and hung a 'clothes line' from the shower rod to the closet shelf. It has been years since I did it this way so I don't exactly remember how I got all my layers held together enough to get them started on my 'clothes line', but I used clothes pins and let the layers hang free while I basted them. As I would progress, I would just adjust my sandwich 'up', letting what I already had basted droop down the backside of my 'line', then continue basting til finished. My space was very limited but I wanted to quilt! So I figured out this method. It worked for me!

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                          This is the method I use to baste a large quilt on a small table. It works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8
                          I use this method too - works like a charm.
                          ***Kathy***

Comment

I had my oldest DD do my really large ones. She gets down on the floor. Otherwise I use my bed and pool noodles. I roll each layer onto a pool noodle first, then layer and roll out as I baste. It works until the cat or dog decide it is nap time while I've got a quilt rolled out.
                            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                            :icon_wave:

Comment

One thing I bought myself is a folding table- it's 5 ft long (rectangular) and folds to a nice square to store. I got it at Walmart. I use it to cut lay out my material, etc. Very handy and inexpensive. folding table- 5 ft_ .jpg
                              sigpicThat which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.... Keep Moving Forward !!... :icon_calm:

Comment

Working...
                              X