What would you do with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with this?

i made this quilt top last fall and since I was very new to quilting, I packed it away on the shelf of UFOs because I had no idea how to quilt it. I pulled it out yesterday because it's on my list of UFO's to finish, and after looking at it, I still don't know how to quilt it.

I want the material (Holiday Flourish) to be the star so I'm thinking minimal quilting but what? It has the metallic threads running throughout. I'm posting a closeup of the center churn-dash so you can see. I plan on using the green with metallic for the backing.

Also, what thread would you use? This is the hardest part of quilting to me - deciding on how to do the quilting. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0976.jpgIMG_0977.jpg
    Cindy

Re: What would you do with this?

I love using variegated thread when I do minimal quilting. I have one that is various shades of cream, from off white to taupe, it really works well on something like this, but gives a little more definition to the quilting that a single color thread would not emphasize.

Comment

Why not fmq in the white sashings and then do some stitch in the ditch in the blocks. Following the units patch work.
      sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
      A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
      And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Thanks Jean, I have some variegated thread that's rayon for embroidery - could I use that for the quilting or is it not strong enough? Also, what type of design would you use?
        Cindy

Comment

First, you need to know how far apart you can quilt - that information will come from the batting information. I think you have two ways to go. The first would be stitch in the ditch, using a cream that matches the sashing. You could do this around the outside of every block, and around the outside and inside of the churn dashes. If you needed closer quilting, you could also use that cream to do Xs across the blocks. That wouldn't take away from the fabrics.

Another idea - Superior Threads makes a gold colored thread that is not metallic. It is #101, Art Studio Colors by Ricky Tims. It is a 40 wt polyester thread. I used this to outline stitch pointsettias on a Christmas table runner. You could use this in any number of ways. You could do a wavy line stitch down and across the sashing, and just do stippling inside the blocks, for example. You could do several lines of 'outline' stitching inside each block, as another example. Here is a picture of how I used this thread in my table runner. In the left corner of the picture, you can see that I also used this thread for stippling.

PC170002.jpg
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thanks, Sylvia, I will look that thread up. I really like what you did with that poinsettia! And I love the idea of outlining certain things. There are a number of old fashioned bulbs in the fussy cuts that I love and those would be great with that thread. Let me go see if I can find this stuff.
            Cindy

Comment

I also was thinking gold. I bought some Glide brand gold polyester quilting thread which I haven't tried yet, but I have it in mind to use on 2 dif. quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched & quilted. I think you could you use an all over pattern or meander on the whole quilt. I think it would blend in with all the colors of your quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                Thanks Jean, I have some variegated thread that's rayon for embroidery - could I use that for the quilting or is it not strong enough? Also, what type of design would you use?
                You can use that for the quilting.

Comment

Because of what I have read about metallic threads, since your quilt has metallic in it, I would stay away from that. If you could find a golden color but not metallic, I think you could use it on the front and the back. You could make holly leaves all over or a pinecone like dense FMQ. Christmas trees that do a loop downward for the branches would be a neat effect too. Or you could combine stars and circles (like ornaments) and angel wings, and the like to fill it up with variety. A ho-ho-ho scribbled in text would be neat and artsy too.
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a few scraps left over from the quilt, so I'm going to sit down tonight and try out some of these ideas. Thanks Snippet about the rayon - I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough for quilting. Deegles, I like the idea of some holly leaves - maybe I could do those in the sashing. I feel better about at least trying these now.
                    Cindy

Comment

So many great ideas. I love sylvias poinsettia. I am such a boring quilter. I haven't ventured out with colored thread yet. I remember trying hand quilting with navy thread on a white back once and I didn't like it so I never considered it again. But now that I'm using more colored backings I should start thinking outside the box like you all.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

I would stitch in the ditch around the center square and then do loops around that and the sashing or free motion stippling.

Comment

Working...
                        X