X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ediane
    replied
    Re: Once again I need your help......

Some times the simplest solution is the answer. I am sure you did this but if you did not remove the bobbin, make sure the thread is tight and re install it. Then re-thread the machine. I use rubber palm gloves when doing this since they allow me to keep the fabric moving with the needle.

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

Straight line quilting is my go-to rescue for almost all my quilts. The walking foot is my friend and I am sure I have a FMQ foot but don't ask me where. Unless the machine has an in-built stitch regulator, some stitches will be shorter and some longer. I don't sweat too much over that. However, when you say you that you can stick your thumb into it, makes me think that you may be skipping stitches. I have had this problem in the past. Two things to do - switch to a new 90/14 needle and increase the pressure of the presser foot. Hope that works.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I'm not sure anyone answered your question about the needle. I use Top Stitch 90-14 quilting needles when working on quilt sandwiches. The eye of the needle is larger & allows the thread to move through more easily. I usually use 40 wt. quilting thread when quilting either on my DSM or my LA. But it's ok to use 50; it works, too. Some folks do finer quilting work with 60 wt. thread, which I have never done, but I watched a video on YouTube by someone who was quilting feathers. I know some quilters use a dif. wt. thread in the bobbin than on the top, but I've always used the same wt. & type of thread both on top & bottom.

Leave a comment:

• PrettyCurious
    replied

Thanks for sharing. Needle position is something I hadn't considered. I thought everyone had their needle on center when using a walking foot.
    As a line leader at work, I try to pay attention to the way people do things, especially if we aren't getting the desired result. Of course when I spot the problem, and help them correct it, I always say, "Don't feel dumb, if you did it, someone else will do it." and "If we didn't make a mistake today, we probably didn't learn anything"

Leave a comment:

• Smg1678
    replied

I figured it out. My machine will allow you to move the needle 3.5 mm to the right or left, But with the walking foot I have to keep it in the center. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Leave a comment:

• Smg1678
    replied

Ho. It is a brand new needle. I have sent a question to the Brother support site. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Until then I will just keep playing with it to see if I can figure it out

Thanks everyone��

Leave a comment:

• rebeccas-sewing
    replied

I don't think this would be causing it, but just make sure you have the arm of the walking foot over the screw on the side of the shank. If you've installed the walking foot correctly, there must be something wrong with the foot. If you have a repair shop close by take it to them and see what they say.

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H
    replied

Since you don't have this problem with your regular foot, it seems the walking foot is the cause. Two problems I have encountered with my walking foot is that sometimes the material gets caught in back of the needle, between the needle and the back part of the walking foot. Another problem I have had is that the walking foot feed dogs sometimes get stuck in the raised position. There is also the possibility that your walking foot is a lemon, and you need to have it replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied

Here is a silly question: Have you installed the walking foot correctly?

Leave a comment:

• Smg1678
    replied

Hi. I have put in a new needle and the machine adjusts everything with feed dogs when I plug in the walking foot etc. I tried again this morning and going slow I was still getting areas of the stitching that I could fit my thumb through a stitch. That is how long some are. I don't think there is drag etc as it is only a 36" square project. I put the regular foot back on and the stitches are fine. I will see if Brother has a help line. They have some tutorials on line but the videos don't show them changing the settings etc and what they are doing to the machine,..they only have the camera pointed at the faces of the ladies talking. Frustrating. Maybe it is time to set this aside for a few days. I called the shop I purchased this machine from and she has cut back her hours and is only open a few hours a day ...during when I am at work and this weekend she is closing all weekend as it is a holiday. Grrrrrr.

What size needles are best to use when doing this type of quilting??

Thanks again everyone...

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama
    replied

Are your feed dogs up?

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

I think you have been given all the advice you will need to diagnose what the problem is

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post

Craftsy has two great walking foot classes by Jacquie Gering that have lots of great info also.
    I ditto that. Best classes ever!

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Like Marta mentioned......make sure the quilt is well supported on table top so it doesn't drag. Also make sure the quilt is not piling up against the wall and forcing itself back towards the walking foot. Try changing the needle and sew slowly. You might try rethreading the machine.

Craftsy has two great walking foot classes by Jacquie Gering that have lots of great info also.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Lady
    replied

Is it a long stitch or a skipped stitch? Skipped stitches sometimes means change the needle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X