Once again I need your help......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again I need your help......

Hi everyone....so I started my first ever straight line quilting today on a baby quilt. I increased my stitch length, I installed my never used before brand new walking / even feed foot that came with my machine last year. However when I am stitching along, every few inches my stitch length is elongated, at least 1/4" or more....Any ideas what I am doing wrong.
    Shelley

Re: Once again I need your help......

Are you pulling the quilt along as you sew or letting the walking foot do the job?

Comment

I have done just a little bit of straight line quilting on my home machine with walking foot. I know you should not "run", and have to be sure there is no drag on the quilt. Some one here will have good advice for you. Just remember to have fun.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I have trouble when I sew too fast with straight line quilting. Slow and steady! I also use the longest stitch length!
        Carrie

I cut it twice and it was still too short!

Comment

Is it a long stitch or a skipped stitch? Skipped stitches sometimes means change the needle.
          Diana Grey

Comment

Like Marta mentioned......make sure the quilt is well supported on table top so it doesn't drag. Also make sure the quilt is not piling up against the wall and forcing itself back towards the walking foot. Try changing the needle and sew slowly. You might try rethreading the machine.

Craftsy has two great walking foot classes by Jacquie Gering that have lots of great info also.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post

Craftsy has two great walking foot classes by Jacquie Gering that have lots of great info also.
              I ditto that. Best classes ever!
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I think you have been given all the advice you will need to diagnose what the problem is
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Are your feed dogs up?
                  Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Hi. I have put in a new needle and the machine adjusts everything with feed dogs when I plug in the walking foot etc. I tried again this morning and going slow I was still getting areas of the stitching that I could fit my thumb through a stitch. That is how long some are. I don't think there is drag etc as it is only a 36" square project. I put the regular foot back on and the stitches are fine. I will see if Brother has a help line. They have some tutorials on line but the videos don't show them changing the settings etc and what they are doing to the machine,..they only have the camera pointed at the faces of the ladies talking. Frustrating. Maybe it is time to set this aside for a few days. I called the shop I purchased this machine from and she has cut back her hours and is only open a few hours a day ...during when I am at work and this weekend she is closing all weekend as it is a holiday. Grrrrrr.

What size needles are best to use when doing this type of quilting??

Thanks again everyone...
                    Shelley

Comment

Here is a silly question: Have you installed the walking foot correctly?
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Since you don't have this problem with your regular foot, it seems the walking foot is the cause. Two problems I have encountered with my walking foot is that sometimes the material gets caught in back of the needle, between the needle and the back part of the walking foot. Another problem I have had is that the walking foot feed dogs sometimes get stuck in the raised position. There is also the possibility that your walking foot is a lemon, and you need to have it replaced.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I don't think this would be causing it, but just make sure you have the arm of the walking foot over the screw on the side of the shank. If you've installed the walking foot correctly, there must be something wrong with the foot. If you have a repair shop close by take it to them and see what they say.
                          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Ho. It is a brand new needle. I have sent a question to the Brother support site. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Until then I will just keep playing with it to see if I can figure it out

Thanks everyone��
                            Shelley

Comment

I figured it out. My machine will allow you to move the needle 3.5 mm to the right or left, But with the walking foot I have to keep it in the center. Thanks again everyone for all your help.
                              Shelley

Comment

Working...
                              X