hints for using a template with a rotary cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hints for using a template with a rotary cutter

Jenny's video on the Floating Hexagons quilt totally inspired me. I bought the fabric (Mojito) and the template, a 5 inch half hexagon.

But when I have to make the cut on the left side (I'm right handed) Arrrgh! and more pirate talk! It's practically impossible. I notice in the video that Jenny switches hands - is that what I'm supposed to do? I'm not very good with my left hand.

Anyway, any hints you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated. A google search didn't help.

Jeannette

Re: hints for using a template with a rotary cutter

I have a difficult time too. I use a smallish mat and turn the mat around, making sure I don't move the template/fabric. When my cutting table is cleaner, I move the mat to the corner where I can cut on one side, then move to the other and make the other cut.

I have a rotary mat, but it's really small and only good for cutting small things. It's easier for me to turn my mat than to get it out for small cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
      I have a difficult time too. I use a smallish mat and turn the mat around, making sure I don't move the template/fabric. When my cutting table is cleaner, I move the mat to the corner where I can cut on one side, then move to the other and make the other cut.

I have a rotary mat, but it's really small and only good for cutting small things. It's easier for me to turn my mat than to get it out for small cuts.
      Exactly what I do.
      "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
      Hillary Clinton

Comment

I use a spinning mat. Makes all the difference in the world.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

LIGHTBULB! A spinning mat has now been ordered - thank you so much for the help!

Jeannette

Comment

Buy the largest one you can afford.
            "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
            Hillary Clinton

Comment

Or rotate the fabric 90 degrees before you start cutting. So instead of the strip running horizontally across the table and cutting mat, I have the strip running vertically up and down the cutting mat. Now I am making cuts left to right, and right to left, instead of away from me and towards me. Much safer. After about a foot of cutting, I move the strip down closer to me and keep going.
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

This is why I love this forum... So many great suggestions on just about anything!

Comment

That's why I designed and had my husband build me a 24" round turntable cutting mat.
                  It will do any shape up to a 16in square.

24in_Rotating_Cutting03.jpg
                  Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                  X