Needle turn appliqué

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle turn appliqué

Quite unintentionally I've ended up poking my way through a tiny bit of needle turn appliqué. I want more, I love it! I think I want to add just a touch of it all n everything I quilt from now on!

Who are some good teachers? I watched a bit of Jan Patek through M* videos. I learned a lot by watching Becky Goldsmith on YouTube. One's too rustic, the other too precise, so I combined a bit of both their techniques and was happy with how my piece turned out for a first try. Any online classes? I'm going to go peek on Craftsy but their intro videos don't always give a good view of how the class is.

Re: Needle turn appliqué

I saw the starch method on a Quilt show video last weekend and want to try that sometime soon. I have not been thrilled with my applique efforts using fusibles. They are OK but not what I really want.

Comment

I really enjoyed a Craftsy class called Big Techniques from Small Scraps with instructor Sarah Fielke for needle turn applique. Here is a youtube video so you can see an example of her teaching style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INxkVfGyqE
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Kathy Delaney.jpg

Kathy Delaney presented our interesting June program at guild entitled, "If I'm the Applique Queen, Where's My Crown?" She is an international author and teacher of applique quilting technique.

She does have a few up close video tutorials on You Tube and many books through CT Publishing/Kansas City Star Quilts.
        Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
          I saw the starch method on a Quilt show video last weekend and want to try that sometime soon. I have not been thrilled with my applique efforts using fusibles. They are OK but not what I really want.
          I'm not happy with fusible appliqué either, I think for me it's best left to specific applications and not my general method of appliqué. I liked the hands on of needleturn and the artistry of it.

DeniseSM, thank you. I've watched Sarah Fielke for hand quilting, she's a great teacher and easy to listen to.

Comment

I took a class from Cheri Leffler on machine applique. I never knew how to applique, so the first part - cutting and creating the applique - was of great interest to me. She used starch or fabric sizing to wet the edges, turn the fabric, and then press with an iron to get a nice crisp edge on the object. I've been doing that on the few things I've appliqued ever since and it is great. I either hand stitch the object, or I machine stitch them down.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
              I took a class from Cheri Leffler on machine applique. I never knew how to applique, so the first part - cutting and creating the applique - was of great interest to me. She used starch or fabric sizing to wet the edges, turn the fabric, and then press with an iron to get a nice crisp edge on the object. I've been doing that on the few things I've appliqued ever since and it is great. I either hand stitch the object, or I machine stitch them down.
              How is she applying the starch? Do you 'paint' it on the edges?
              Cindy

Comment

I watch this instructor sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4kh1L_dbg
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                  The video I saw had her painting the starch onto the fabric edges. She had sprayed the starch from the spray can into the lid. If you have the pump sprayer you could just pour some into a small bowl then use a paint brush.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think the glue would be a lot less messy. I can make quite a mess with a spray can!
                    Cindy

Comment

I really like Kathy Delaney's videos. I was impressed with all the detail and the closeups. I want to try needle-turn appliqué and when I do I'll be referring to her tutorials. Thanks, Sheri!
                      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I love Jenny's teacher, Jan Pedet, Tutorials,
                        Aliquippa like a pro. She walks you through most all her patterns too.
                        Find her on The tutorials, or on YouTube.
                        Have fun.

....Bee
                        The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                        ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

160716-091255.jpg
                          Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
                          Quite unintentionally I've ended up poking my way through a tiny bit of needle turn appliqué. I want more, I love it! I think I want to add just a touch of it all n everything I quilt from now on!

Who are some good teachers? I watched a bit of Jan Patek through M* videos. I learned a lot by watching Becky Goldsmith on YouTube. One's too rustic, the other too precise, so I combined a bit of both their techniques and was happy with how my piece turned out for a first try. Any online classes? I'm going to go peek on Craftsy but their intro videos don't always give a good view of how the class is.
                          Aloha stitchwishes, I have been teaching Hawaiian quilting since 1976 and watching a lot of applique people do, to me its backwards. They turn the edge under and towards them and then stitch across from right to left (this is for right handers, or left to right for left handers). Okay lets try the Kamaile way (that's me Carol Kamaile you can google me):
                          1st get yourself a throw pillow to put on your lap, you will pin the piece you are working on to the pillow above where you are stitching. The piece you are applying should be basted down about 1/2" from the edge all the way around, no glue or starch. Get the best thread match you can, run it through natural beeswax, no longer than 14" very important.
                          Lets pretend you are doing a 4 leaf clover pointing N, S, E, W. Start with the S petal on the right side, pin the work to your pillow about 5" above where you are stitching, THIS STABLIZES AND WORKS LIKE A 3RD HAND HOLDING IT FOR YOU, use the point of the needle facing N and turn edge of fabric under about 1/8" & hold down with thumb on top and ring finger on bottom, press with the side of needle. NOW put needle under edge of fold pull through and tuck knot under. The angle that you are sewing is towards elbow of opposite hand, go down into background fabric right next to where your thread is coming up, take a small stitch and come up through both fabrics, pull snug. Turn under about another inch of your applique and continue stitching along. Your middle finger will be the one that feels the needle coming to the back.

3 important keys: Pillow to pin the work to Wax your thread Thread no longer than 14"

If thread is longer you will wear out thread at the eye of the needle and you will get more tangles. You can sew faster with a short thread than having to pull a long thread on every stitch.

Try this out and private message me and let me know how it is going. I can cover points and valleys by message.
                          Last edited by surfergirl; August 1, 2016, 03:19 PM. Reason: forgot the picture

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                            Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                            The video I saw had her painting the starch onto the fabric edges. She had sprayed the starch from the spray can into the lid. If you have the pump sprayer you could just pour some into a small bowl then use a paint brush.
                            Yes we did just as Claire described. Spray the starch or sizing into the lid and use a paint brush to paint it onto the edges. It seemed odd, but it works and isn't messy at all.

Another tip she had was to use bias strips and sew along the edge of a zip tie and trim the edge so it is smaller than the sewn part. Take out the tie, sew this 'stem' onto your design along the seam, turn and sew it down. Makes really nice stems.

Comment

Lots of great info on this thread - I'm going to save it for later. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!
                              Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X