Hunter's Star? Suggestions please. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunter's Star? Suggestions please. :)

This is one of those patterns that is so on my bucket list.

I have watched Jenny's tutorial, and no offense, (love her tutorials and she is a GREAT teacher) but I am not sure I like the layout of her hunter's star. She did simplify it for sure, but I really love the original hunter's star pattern, especially the two color ones. I have also viewed other tutorials for the hunter's star, and some seem confusing to me.

Have you made a quilt using a different technique or template? What would you recommend to some one who is scared to try this pattern? I so want to do this quilt. But fear has gripped me to even try this one. I do have two quilts to complete before attempting this. So I am trying to be proactive and tackle the fear and ask you wonderful folks if you have some suggestions, or links, or a favorite template.

Thank you all in advance. I look forward to your replies.
    There are no perfect quilts, because I am a imperfect quilter.

Sharon :icon_hi:

Re: Hunter's Star? Suggestions please.

Just try one block. Out of scraps. Tell yourself you are just playing. Nothing to lose.
    Anytime I try something new, I practice on odd and end scraps. I will have enough odd practice blocks to make a quilt out of one of these days! (Not a pretty one, granted. Haha)

Comment

Just took a quick peek at the tutorial again because I had forgotten how she did it. I would do what Snip said with two colors of 5" squares. Wherever Jenny has a white block put one color and wherever she has a print put color 2. You should end up with a HS of just 2 colors.
      Cindy

Comment

I just cut one out with my Accuquilt and have it on my to-do list.
        Barbara
        http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

Did you check out this one?

http://www.cascadequilts.com/2011/02...-tutorial.html
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

That's the same tutorial I planned to use if I ever make this quilt pattern. I printed those directions off & have them in my notebook. However, I think I want more than just 2 colors. Making a sample block is a good idea.

Comment

I, too, would like to make a Hunter's Star one of these days. Quite some time ago I saved this tutorial:

http://www.cascadequilts.com/2011/02...-tutorial.html

It seems straight forward enough.

Comment

I actually like Cascade Quilt's block better if you are only using 2 colors. She incorporates the 4 patch with the star. Jenny does them as 2 separate blocks and you have to make different amounts of the A and B block. I would probably make a block each way to see which worked better for me.
                Cindy

Comment

I bookmarked this tutorial, it's layer cake friendly. Haven't tried it myself but it seems straightforward.
                  http://hopefulhomemaker.com/2014/04/...-cake-pattern/

Comment

I made the Hunter's Star quilt using Deb Turner's Rapid Fire Ruler several years ago. I liked the way it went together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOS9KBDJgU

Phyllis

Comment

I made Jennys hunter star quilt and must say that it baffled me when I made all the triangles and then she wanted me to cut each one of them down by 1/4 inch. I did it, not understanding why and then realized that I hadn't paid attention to what side I was cutting off, therefore cutting different hst's on different sides. By the time I realized what I had done it was too late, so I put it together anyway. I never understood why we didn't start with the right size pieces to begin with. Just a word of caution when you begin.huntersstar.jpghunterstarback.jpg
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

I took a Hunter Star class once with Jan Krentz. She is an awesome instructor and her method is more or less strip pieced. The block comes together beautifully and I like the proportions on her blocks better than others I have seen. She has a book on the method which is very thorough.

http://jankrentz.com/store.php?cat=1

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful Terri...love the blue and white
                          Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            I have it started using this patter (two colors), It is coming together nicely. I have not tried the M* tut.

Comment

I felt the same way you did when I saw Jenny's tutorial. So I used the tutorial from Cascade Quilts to make mine. It's so much easier to me, because you are making each colored arrow in one block, not two or three. So laying it out is a breeze. The instructions are easy and she's got good photos and diagrams.

I made mine using charm packs and yardage for the white, it's easily doable in a two color scheme too.
                              Hunter's Star (1).jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X