#80 quilting needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#80 quilting needle

I was gifted a pattern to make microwave bowls. Everything is very straightforward,except pattern wants me to use #80 quilting needle. for this project. Went to look for one this am, found all sorts of #80 needles with slashes and other #'s after the 80. Have no idea what I'm looking for or why. Store clerk wasn't able to help. Can anybody here? Thanks Kathy
    All quilts cat tested and approved.
    sigpic

Re: #80 quilting needle

You can use a 90/14 too which is pretty common. Here is a good site for the confusing numbers.

http://quiltbug.com/articles/choosing-needle.htm
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
      You can use a 90/14 too which is pretty common. Here is a good site for the confusing numbers.

One of the things I love about this forum is that Whenever someone asks a question, someone else has an answer.
      Nancy

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post

Hahahaha!!!! I was reading the page on your link Lorie and I have to wonder if the author was a head banger in the 80s because of this ... "A Metallica Thread Needle has a larger Teflon coated eye which reduces friction It should have been Metallic.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          Hahahaha!!!! I was reading the page on your link Lorie and I have to wonder if the author was a head banger in the 80s because of this ... "A Metallica Thread Needle has a larger Teflon coated eye which reduces friction It should have been Metallic.
          LOL I love it!

Comment

Hey, I actually knew those guys, since for a while I lived right across the road from Jim Hetfield's mom.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
              lol Maybe they were smoking when they wrote it.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

A #80/12 needle is recommended when you are using 50 weight thread. I think you can also use a #75 needle with 50 weight thread - but I don't see that size available very often. You can use a #90/14 needle, but it makes a larger hole, which the 50 weight thread does not fill up. I suspect that after washing, this won't make much of a difference.

BTW - a topstich needle works just as good as a quilting needle.
                Last edited by Sylvia H; July 23, 2016, 08:46 PM.
                If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I mostly use Schmetz universal 80/12 for all my piecing and quilting, especially FMQ'ing. Has made a world of difference (for the better!)
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Working...
                  X