Feedback for Polyester Batting please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback for Polyester Batting please!!

I got a great deal on a roll of polyester batting...
    that being said, I would like some input on what others have used the polyester batting for...
    Also, is it okay to use in baby quilts? I thought someone on this forum said they use polyester in baby quilts...and I have seen posts about poly not being good for baby quilts...
    thanks for any input...
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Re: Feedback for Polyester Batting please!!

I use it on charity quilts. The organization I quilt for requests it because it dries faster and the recipients do not have electric dryers

Comment

My first two quilts, I used polyester. They've held up just fine and I can't tell the difference.

Comment

Heat. If you want a hotter to-the-touch quilt, poly is your friend.
        I use cotton for quilts I make for people who live in hotter climates, or for "summer" quilts.
        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to use poly batt in quilts for babies or kids. I use cotton or 80/20 in most of my quilts, but that's personal preference because I don't care for poofy quilts.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I bought a roll of poly batting from Joanns awhile back. I use it for everything. I holds up really well for the grandkids and honestly - I cannot tell the difference other than in my wallet. I paid like 50.00 for a bolt of it. I believe it is the soft and crafty stuff. It's not poofy either like the stuff back in the day.
            If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

Yes, they have definitely improved poly batting so it's easier to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a baby quilt.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Thank you all for thee feedback...
                I have used Warm and White/Natural for quite a while...then took advice from forum members and bought 80/20 batting...I like both for the size quilts I do...
                Carol

Comment

My quilt guild uses polyester batting for donation quilts. The batting we use doesn't shrink and the quilting can be farther apart.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I have heard people say that if you spray baste, it doesn't stick very well.

Comment

So, my dd and I were conversing the other day and she told me she has a friend who sells on etsy and says that now everything she sells has to be labeled with fabric content and if not , she has to keep records of the fabric content for 3 yrs. She says that just like childrens PJ,s, quilts for children must not have polyester because it will melt on you in a fire. I don't know how toconfirm this, but thought Iwould pass it along.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

I used a poly batting successfully on my first few donation baby quilts. I had always used cotton prior. Just one word of caution... Be sure not to use a hot iron once batting is added! I knew better but just wasn't thinking, having always used cotton batting in the past. When I machine sew binding on quilts, I always iron it back first so it folds over to the reverse side nicely. I put the iron setting to Cotton as always and I know the poly melted or partially so because it sure did flatten too much! Lesson learned though!

Comment

Carol, I do use poly batting in the kids quilts when I have it on hand. Someone usually donates some to me for that purpose at the forum retreat, and it has saved me quite a bit of $ out of my own pocket. It quilts up great...whether by machine or hand. So quilt on GF, with the poly batting.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bernamom View Post
                            I have heard people say that if you spray baste, it doesn't stick very well.

I don't think it makes much, if any, difference...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                              So, my dd and I were conversing the other day and she told me she has a friend who sells on etsy and says that now everything she sells has to be labeled with fabric content and if not , she has to keep records of the fabric content for 3 yrs. She says that just like childrens PJ,s, quilts for children must not have polyester because it will melt on you in a fire. I don't know how toconfirm this, but thought Iwould pass it along.
                              Terri, I was concerned about the fire issue...but as you notice on this post a lot of members use it for childrens or baby quilts...
                              Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X