Help reducing size of block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help reducing size of block

Hi all. I am making a twin xl with a king size pattern. The middle section is finished, but now I need to do the blocks surrounding it. The large blocks are 16" and the Suns and moons 10". I would like to reduce them to 12" and 8". After a Google search, all I have found is instructions for using a copy machine...huh? I am totally lost. Here is a picture of what I am making. Is there a formula to reduce each individual piece?

image.jpg

Re: Help reducing size of block

Well first we have to figure out the block. I looked up and found this, but didn't find different sizes. Doesn't mean it's impossible.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/305118943480395690/
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I would not go to the trouble of changing the block sizes as you would end up with to many 1/8ths,16ths, and 32nds (unless these are paper pieced). You would have to size the blocks to match the inner size of the part of the top you already have done.
      Another idea would be to skip the inner blue border and the border around the cornerstone blocks and stars which would be approximately how much you want the blocks smaller.

Or you could just make three stars for each corner and use other fabric to fill in between the gaps which would save you about the amount you spoke of for block size.

Gosh, I hope this made sense.
      Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

How about this one. It looks like there is different sizes.

http://www.multi-patch.com/html/sawt...r_pattern.html
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Saqqara View Post
          The large blocks are 16" and the Suns and moons 10". I would like to reduce them to 12" and 8". After a Google search, all I have found is instructions for using a copy machine...huh? I am totally lost. Is there a formula to reduce each individual piece?[ATTACH=CONFIG]133357[/ATTACH]
          Are you paper-piecing them? Using templates? You found instructions for using a copy machine because when most quilters reduce the size of a block, they either do the math in their head (if it's a simple enough block) or they do it on a copy machine. And yes, there is a formula.

If you have templates, you can reduce the size easily on a copier. Take the size you want (12") and divide by the size you have (16"), then move the decimal point two digits to the right. The answer is 0.75, so you will program the copier to make a copy at 75%. Remove the seam allowances from the templates before copying, then add them onto the enlarged templates.

FYI if you want to enlarge the templates, the equation stays the same. Take the size you want and divide by the size you have. Example: if you have a 10" block and want a 16" block - 10 divided by 16 equals 1.6, move the decimal, and make a copy at 160%.

Comment

Originally posted by Peggi View Post
            Are you paper-piecing them? Using templates? You found instructions for using a copy machine because when most quilters reduce the size of a block, they either do the math in their head (if it's a simple enough block) or they do it on a copy machine. And yes, there is a formula.

If you have templates, you can reduce the size easily on a copier. Take the size you want (12") and divide by the size you have (16"), then move the decimal point two digits to the right. The answer is 0.75, so you will program the copier to make a copy at 75%. Remove the seam allowances from the templates before copying, then add them onto the enlarged templates.

FYI if you want to enlarge the templates, the equation stays the same. Take the size you want and divide by the size you have. Example: if you have a 10" block and want a 16" block - 10 divided by 16 equals 1.6, move the decimal, and make a copy at 160%.
            I don't have templates and I am not paper piecing. So if I understand what you said here, could I use a calculator
            and divide say a 6.25" block before cutting into triangles, down to whatever .75% would be?

Comment

I would probably do what Deegles suggested and make the blocks the smaller size you want and fill in the extra space with the background fabric. The blocks will end up a little farther apart, but they will have a nice floating appearance (like they're floating in space).

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
              The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
              X