Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMQ The worst

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    FMQ The worst

    I spent an entire day tracing a stencil pattern on this quilt and 2 days FMQ. I kept checking on the stitching etc and when I finished it's absolutely the worst. I've been practicing for weeks . I guess I should have known better. So ripping the quilt all apart, wouldn't give this to my worst enemy lol. Not sure what to do next. I went slowly, stitches are so, so but the hearts are just not good shapes. Any suggestions. I have ruined a beautiful Lavender fabric Wisteria by Kona. So mad at myself can't even think straight, wasted 3 days on this darn thing. Thinking redoing a small square pattern at a time but not sure I'm A FMQ person
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlohaSandy; July 20, 2016, 02:44 PM.
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

    #2
    Re: FMQ The worst

    Awww, I don't think it looks SO terrible as you make it sound....did you drop your feed dogs? Your stitch length looks pretty good - did you use a stitch regulator? I really think you could wash this and be surprised. I don't see puckers in your front or back - wash it in hot and dry it in a hot dryer and be surprised...sending you a (((hug))).
    Barbara
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

    Comment


      #3
      Re: FMQ The worst

      Originally posted by CraftySweetPeas View Post
      Awww, I don't think it looks SO terrible as you make it sound....did you drop your feed dogs? Your stitch length looks pretty good - did you use a stitch regulator? I really think you could wash this and be surprised. I don't see puckers in your front or back - wash it in hot and dry it in a hot dryer and be surprised...sending you a (((hug))).
      Yes I did drop feed dogs not sure if I have a regular on my Janome 6300. I started taking it apart last night when I was done lol oh Mahalo for the compliment
      Last edited by AlohaSandy; July 20, 2016, 02:53 PM.
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

      Comment


        #4
        Re: FMQ The worst

        Stop. Don't take it apart! I think it is lovely. And as Barbara said - just wash and dry it and it will get all puckery and nice. You won't be able to see what you are now percieving as imperfections. I admire you for just jumping right in with a quilt. When I was starting I just did practice squares for the longest time.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: FMQ The worst

          Hey, I'm letting some pass that don't look any better than yours. I'm a beginner, so I am not expecting perfection, but a little smoother would be nice!
          Where did you have problems? Stopping and starting smoothly? Quilt not moving well as you go? Those both get me.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: FMQ The worst

            Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
            Hey, I'm letting some pass that don't look any better than yours. I'm a beginner, so I am not expecting perfection, but a little smoother would be nice!
            Where did you have problems? Stopping and starting smoothly? Quilt not moving well as you go? Those both get me.
            Lol all of the above. Thought since I marked all of it ahead of time it would go smoother so I am wondering maybe drawing small sections at a time would be better. And horrible time moving my quilt even after spraying silicone on my extended table.
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

            Comment


              #7
              Re: FMQ The worst

              Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
              Stop. Don't take it apart! I think it is lovely. And as Barbara said - just wash and dry it and it will get all puckery and nice. You won't be able to see what you are now percieving as imperfections. I admire you for just jumping right in with a quilt. When I was starting I just did practice squares for the longest time.
              Thanks but think too late I couldn't sell or give it away in this state. I started last night when it was done. It's funny I kept checking thinking it looked fine until I saw the entire quilt hmm not sure why I didn't see it before I finished it I would have stopped a long time ago
              Last edited by AlohaSandy; July 20, 2016, 03:25 PM.
              sigpicHawaiigrammi

              Comment


                #8
                Re: FMQ The worst

                It really isn't as bad as you think... In fact, I think it looks fine.... Heather Thomas recommends NOT lowering the freedoms, so you have more control... She does amazing work....

                Try not to stress over this... I know.l.had not to...especially when you put so much time and effort into it,,. I honestly don't think it looks bad,l., we are always our worst critics,

                I haven't tried FMQ for a while.... Too much stress....


                Sandy from Cincinnati


                AKA Kermit

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: FMQ The worst

                  Don't beat yourself up. It's may not be up to the standard you set for yourself, but I think you did a pretty good job. We all start somewhere, and at least you have tried FMQ (I haven't - too afraid). You will only improve with time!

                  Hope this story helps you feel better... I started a quilt top and gave up on it because it started to look like a wood parquet floor, UGH I hated that quilt top. After taking a few lessons on a long arm machine, instructor told me my first attempt solo should be on a small quilt, preferable one I don't care if I ruined. HaHa, I had the perfect top for this.

                  I loaded the backing, batting, and top onto the frame, and away I went. Everything was going so smoothly, and I was even pleased with my quilting (being the first time I really did more than meandering), not perfect, but presentable.

                  When I was all done, feeling soooo proud of myself and unrolling my newly created masterpiece from the quilt frame, that's when I discovered what I fondly called a "spider web" on the back side, where apparently my tension was very off! Oh well I could easily pull those stiches out and fix it. And then I found another, and another, and yet another "spider web".

                  But the worst was yet to come, it wasn't until I was folding up the quilt that I realized I had put my backing fabric on the frame wrong side up, in other words, the good side of the fabric was inside the quilt and the piecing seam was on the outside.

                  I was completely defeated at that point, until I got home with my less than presentable creation. But when life gives you lemons.....

                  I folded that quilt in half, and made my dog a new bed! She loves her new pillow!
                  untitled.jpg

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: FMQ The worst

                    Sending you a big hug.Honestly it looks pretty good. I would not rip it out.

                    FMQ takes a lot of practice. Here is some advice for what to do next time to get results you will like better. First, don't use variegated thread for FMQ until you are really really good. Every little bobble and tension issue shows up with variegated thread. Second, switch to a polyester thinner thread, something like Superior Threads Bottom Line or Connecting Threads Essential Pro. When you are happy with your FMQ using this thinner polyester thread, than you can switch to a heavier weight thread.

                    And lastly , spraying silicon on the extender table is not enough. The fluff and stuff method is slower because you have to keep re-positioning the quilt, but you will be happier with the result.

                    You can do this.
                    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: FMQ The worst

                      Keep at it! I think it looks fine but we are our own worst critics. Are you using gloves? I could NOT FMQ without quilting gloves. They are a necessary investment. Really, I can't even practice quilt without them. I like Machingers best. I also think a Supreme Slider is a great investment. I can't recommend it enough. Leah Day sells these on her site. Check it out.
                      Cyndi


                      “Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: FMQ The worst

                        Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                        It really isn't as bad as you think... In fact, I think it looks fine.... Heather Thomas recommends NOT lowering the freedoms, so you have more control... She does amazing work....

                        Try not to stress over this... I know.l.had not to...especially when you put so much time and effort into it,,. I honestly don't think it looks bad,l., we are always our worst critics,

                        I haven't tried FMQ for a while.... Too much stress....
                        Thanks I'll try that next time in a few months lol. I was trying to give myself a little break from my orders and do something fun but wasted to much time on this already. But not lowering feed dogs can you still FMQ the same I thought FMQ was lowering feed dogs I'm confused lol I'll look into it on Utube see if I can find her. Mahalo
                        sigpicHawaiigrammi

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: FMQ The worst

                          Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                          Don't beat yourself up. It's may not be up to the standard you set for yourself, but I think you did a pretty good job. We all start somewhere, and at least you have tried FMQ (I haven't - too afraid). You will only improve with time!

                          Hope this story helps you feel better... I started a quilt top and gave up on it because it started to look like a wood parquet floor, UGH I hated that quilt top. After taking a few lessons on a long arm machine, instructor told me my first attempt solo should be on a small quilt, preferable one I don't care if I ruined. HaHa, I had the perfect top for this.

                          I loaded the backing, batting, and top onto the frame, and away I went. Everything was going so smoothly, and I was even pleased with my quilting (being the first time I really did more than meandering), not perfect, but presentable.

                          When I was all done, feeling soooo proud of myself and unrolling my newly created masterpiece from the quilt frame, that's when I discovered what I fondly called a "spider web" on the back side, where apparently my tension was very off! Oh well I could easily pull those stiches out and fix it. And then I found another, and another, and yet another "spider web".

                          But the worst was yet to come, it wasn't until I was folding up the quilt that I realized I had put my backing fabric on the frame wrong side up, in other words, the good side of the fabric was inside the quilt and the piecing seam was on the outside.

                          I was completely defeated at that point, until I got home with my less than presentable creation. But when life gives you lemons.....

                          I folded that quilt in half, and made my dog a new bed! She loves her new pillow!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]133348[/ATTACH]
                          OMG you made me laugh and now don't feel as bad as I did I feel bad for you all that work lol. But was we all have to learn somehow and this was on my bucket list this year so I've done it and eventually will redo it in a few months. Glad she likes her pillow. I'm just mad to because I never buy jelly rolls too much money for me but fell deeply in love with the fabric so I took a bite lol and purchased from MSCQ.
                          sigpicHawaiigrammi

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: FMQ The worst

                            I never lower my feed dogs. I set the stitch length to zero and that causes them to barely move. I find it much easier.
                            pat.

                            No rain....no rainbows!


                            sigpic

                            If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: FMQ The worst

                              Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
                              ... But not lowering feed dogs can you still FMQ the same I thought FMQ was lowering feed dogs I'm confused lol I'll look into it on Utube see if I can find her. Mahalo
                              You can FMQ with the feed dogs up, as long as you have your stitch length set at 0. I use a Supreme Slider, quilting gloves, and do the fluff and stuff method. New patterns do require practice first, and I sometimes don't have the patience for that!
                              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X