paper piecing airplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paper piecing airplane

I found this really cute airplane that was paper pieced. Instructions and templates were provided by the creator, but I can't seem to figure it out completely. I followed directions very carefully, but when she says, "attach the 6.5 by 4.5 panels to the tail piece, my 6.5 by 4.5 panels are not even close to the size of the tail piece. The tail piece is much shorter, so me thinks the template she provided is not being printed to the appropriate scale. Does anyone else have any clue on this? She says to print at 100%. I did, and it doesn't seem right.
    http://www.agfblog.com/2012/08/fat_q....html#comments

Re: paper piecing airplane

I agree, it looks very confusing. I'm surprised the blogger didn't include a 1" square to validate that it actually printed at the correct size.

I would comment or email her and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Peggi View Post
      I agree, it looks very confusing. I'm surprised the blogger didn't include a 1" square to validate that it actually printed at the correct size.

I would comment or email her and ask.
      She doesn't seem to answer in the comments section of that website, so I went to Facebook and sent a message. They seem to stay updated on that page. I keep adjusting my printer settings, and it appears to me that my settings are correct. Hopefully, someone will answer and maybe give a helpful hint. I don't want to have to mess with trying to figure it out, since I have never paper pieced.

Comment

Would using the background (mat) in the tutorial help?

Comment

Originally posted by SewingBuddy View Post
          Would using the background (mat) in the tutorial help?
          Good catch! It is definitely 6.5, but when i follow her instructions on printing it at 100%, I don't get 6.5. I get almost 5, which isn't right. A commenter on the blog had mentioned that they had to print it at "scale to fit page", because 100% was making them come up short. I've tried both ways, and it prints the same size. So, I'm not sure what's right. Probably my printer or something. I'll keep troubleshooting.

Comment

Have you tried enlarging the pieces separately? Don't know if that will help.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Her instructions may not be including the seam allowances. If you are going by her exact measurements it is possible that the seam allowances are understood to be extra and not spoke of. Not sure though. Neat pattern.
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I may have cracked the code. I had to enlarge more than the said amount, in order to get the measurements she is using. I'm headed up to piece a few now. We'll see what happens. Thank you for the helpful tips.

Comment

Another thought, if the measurement on the page is correct, ask a print shop (like Staples) to print one page so you can measure to see what their printer provides. Good luck.

Comment

See if your printer has a Fit to Page button. If so deselect it.

Comment

I downloaded the templates. They are off when compared to the cutting mat used in the tutorial. I enlarged 130% and I tested this using the nosepiece (template A). It can use up a lot of paper (at least it did for me). I know my printer is correct as I have not have any issues with other templates I have downloaded and printed.

My husband wanted to know why I was making an airplane.
                      Last edited by SewingBuddy; July 20, 2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Well, my enlarging worked. I had to boost mine to 108%. I'm not sure why. Regardless, it came out to the dimensions I needed. Here is a sample I made. I did not press anything as I went, so it looks a bit wonky. I was pleased with how it turned out. However, I'm a bit concerned about it's shape. Does it look too...ahem...phallic shaped to anyone else? The nose part it what specifically concerns me. Again, I wasn't particular about seams and pressing, because it was just a scrappy sample.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenz View Post
                          Well, my enlarging worked. I had to boost mine to 108%. I'm not sure why. Regardless, it came out to the dimensions I needed. Here is a sample I made. I did not press anything as I went, so it looks a bit wonky. I was pleased with how it turned out. However, I'm a bit concerned about it's shape. Does it look too...ahem...phallic shaped to anyone else? The nose part it what specifically concerns me. Again, I wasn't particular about seams and pressing, because it was just a scrappy sample. [ATTACH=CONFIG]133327[/ATTACH]
                          Well now that you mention it ........

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
                            Well now that you mention it ........
                            Sorry. I wouldn't have said anything, but it's for a gift. I didn't want the receiver to be offended.

Comment

Originally posted by SewingBuddy View Post
                              My husband wanted to know why I was making an airplane.
                              My husband would have said "What you should do is add some propellers that actually spin! You could put a battery pack on the back, sew a little pocket for it, go to the hobby store and get a little motor... orrrr, maybe even get one of those models and use that instead, with the wings, so the quilt could actually fly...."

Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X